3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Does getting an e-fan make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the help an efan provides in terms of performance are well below the RPM's most dynos are going to rate, unless that is altered.. the 'off the line' help is absolutely there, though..

there is zero help at highway speeds.. the clutch most often disengages pulley fans, and the wind over the heat exchange is good enough to cool the engine..

you'll reap the benefits of an efan mostly in city driving, and right off the line, where the heavy clutch fan isn't sapping energy at it's source: the crank..

something to figure into the mathematical equation is rotational weight.. rotational weight is generally times four, but it doesn't work out exactly that way.. to rotate the clutch fan, though, is tough on an engine that doesn't produce enough power down low in the RPM's to not miss it..

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
The motor warms up at the same rate, regardless of the fan type.
maybe down there in Florida that is how it is but up here were it get freezing cold i bet my engine warm up a lot quicker when they are not having ice cold air blown at them all the time.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Uncle Meanie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
oh my god..... I have absolutely no recollection of even reading this thread, let-alone breaking down the mathematics of it all.

This is why no one drinks with me.

I have had nights like that.....
I just don't remeber them!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
oh my god..... I have absolutely no recollection of even reading this thread, let-alone breaking down the mathematics of it all.

This is why no one drinks with me.

For you to not remember it, I think you did an outstanding job with your analysis. It made a lot of sense to us non buzzed members...lol

Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi over everything
So it obviously helped you out but I'm thinking about it for 20-30 miles highway driving everyday if its not gonna help me in gas mileage than I don't think it's worth it for my situation, I live in south Florida and it gets pretty damn hot but I'm not really worried about that

IMO you'd be wasting your money on an e-fan. Since your ride is pretty much at highway speed you won't see a benefit.

You'd be much better served using the money replacing your insanely restrictive Flowmaster muffler with one that has a decent CFM rate and free up that exhaust...

Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Magnaflow comes to mind.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
maybe down there in Florida that is how it is but up here were it get freezing cold i bet my engine warm up a lot quicker when they are not having ice cold air blown at them all the time.
These engines are not air-cooled. When the 'stat is closed, the coolant doesn't pass through the radiator. The engine will always warm faster when it's working. That is, moving the vehicle. Idling won't speed the warming of the engine. In fact, it'll take longer to reach operating temperature idling than working.

Yes, it'll take longer for your engine to reach 200 from -20 than mine will from +30, but the degrees per minute will be the same.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
For you to not remember it, I think you did an outstanding job with your analysis. It made a lot of sense to us non buzzed members...lol
I'm a pretty reasonable drunk, I don't get violent, or maggoty and I always try to maintain some semblance of control.

I do however enjoy a good technical discussion, and spell check is an amazing thing

Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Hemi over everything

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
IMO you'd be wasting your money on an e-fan. Since your ride is pretty much at highway speed you won't see a benefit.

You'd be much better served using the money replacing your insanely restrictive Flowmaster muffler with one that has a decent CFM rate and free up that exhaust...
But they're the masters of flow....lol I love the way my truck sounds idk about buying a new muffler

Quick Reply: Does getting an e-fan make a difference?