3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dash "whats this for?" questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Disko Superfly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash "whats this for?" questions

Hello all,
I hope it is alright to group all my curiosity questions all in one post.

There is a little light to the lower left of my 4wd **** that is marked "neutral".
I have never seen it lit (energized) at anytime. What I am curious about is, is there anyway to actually put the Tcase in neutral?

And speaking of little dash indicator lights, whats the red one to the left of the temp gauge? I always thought that it was a light to alert the driver that he should be checking the temp gauge. But then I also read somewhere that it was part of the sentry security system (?). Again I have never seen this light energized. I have sat behind the steering wheel, key in hand and hit the lock and unlock button on the key, still did not light up.

My build sheet says that I do have the sentry security system. Is there more to this security system than just a very expensive key?

I do appreciate any and all answers I get to my queries.

Thanks, Disko

Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The neutral should light up when you are switching to 4x4. It goes neutral when its engaging. As for the red light I know what you're talking about but I don't know what it's for. Mine lights up when I turn the key to ON. Maybe you're lights are just out?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

You'll learn much, just read the owners manual..........Just a thought..

Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The single red LED beside the temp gauge is for the security system.

It comes on when you turn the key on or start the truck, as the system checks the status.

It should also blink when you activate your alarm, the entire time your alarm is active. Does the horn honk when you lock the doors with the key fob??

Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Disko Superfly

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
The neutral should light up when you are switching to 4x4. It goes neutral when its engaging. As for the red light I know what you're talking about but I don't know what it's for. Mine lights up when I turn the key to ON. Maybe you're lights are just out?
Yeah, I'm thinking that the light (if it is actually a light) by the 4wd **** is not working. I never lights up.

Thank you, Disko

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Disko Superfly

Originally Posted by cruzer55
You'll learn much, just read the owners manual..........Just a thought..
Thank you sir, I didn't mean to bother you.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Disko Superfly

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
The single red LED beside the temp gauge is for the security system.

It comes on when you turn the key on or start the truck, as the system checks the status.

It should also blink when you activate your alarm, the entire time your alarm is active. Does the horn honk when you lock the doors with the key fob??
Yes, It does honk when I lock it with the button on the key. But the light only comes on when I turn the key on. Then thereafter it doesn't. No blinking, nothing. Just what does this alarm really do besides keeping the truck inoperable unless you have the sentry key?

Thank you.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disko Superfly
Yes, It does honk when I lock it with the button on the key. But the light only comes on when I turn the key on. Then thereafter it doesn't. No blinking, nothing. Just what does this alarm really do besides keeping the truck inoperable unless you have the sentry key?

Thank you.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it does.

I forgot my main key/fob one time and had only my single key. I had to unlock the door manually which set off the alarm, as soon as I put the key in to start the truck the alarm went off and the truck fired up.

The light comes on when you start the truck as a system check, the computer verifies everything is working. but it should blink continuously when the alarm is turned on.

I could be wrong but I think I remember reading in the manual about a procedure to turn the blinking off?? You can disable a lot of features just with the key fob, including turning off horn chirp.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Disko Superfly

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it does.

I forgot my main key/fob one time and had only my single key. I had to unlock the door manually which set off the alarm, as soon as I put the key in to start the truck the alarm went off and the truck fired up.

The light comes on when you start the truck as a system check, the computer verifies everything is working. but it should blink continuously when the alarm is turned on.

I could be wrong but I think I remember reading in the manual about a procedure to turn the blinking off?? You can disable a lot of features just with the key fob, including turning off horn chirp.
Yeah, I activated the beep only because it was the first time I ever had remote locks and wanted to be cool at Wal-Mart =-)
I thank you for your help.

Disko

Quick Reply: Dash "whats this for?" questions