3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Supercharger advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Jay1751
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger advice

Hey everyone, Ive been recently looking into supercharging my 03 hemi.. Background on the truck is 130,000 miles, superchips programmer, MAC cold air intake, MBRP dual exhaust. Im just tryin to gather some opinions on whether its a good idea to do it with that many miles on it and what would be a good set up for an every day driver. All advice and opinions are welcomed!

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

$$$$$

Old 01-29-2013, 04:08 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of $$$$$. You'll have to upgrade all the internals of the engine as well. Can't just slap on a Supercharger and take off down the street. I mean you can but you won't get far before the engine blows. But Procharger is the only real kit I've seen for 3rd Gens. A member on here used a S/C for an 09 and custom fabbed it up to his 07 but that's alot of pain in my mind

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Jay1751
Amateur

yea thats what i was thinking... I know its big bucks, but that aside im just trying to gather some thoughts on what direction i should head in next.. i have heard about guys running superchargers on stock motors safely at 6psi and not sacrificing much on the end of reliability, but i wasnt sure if thats just hear-say

Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

you talking super's in a stock ram or another vehicle? of course lots of motors can handle superchargers stock, but those are the ones that come with em, ie grand prix's, cobalt's. but those are smaller motors and the point of those superchargers and in some cases turbochargers is fuel economy in mind. but anyway slap one on there lol i know paxton used to make em for mopars! even my 5.9l!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 AM
Jay1751
Amateur

yea sc's in stock 5.7's.. yea i understand you can run it no prob for a motor set up for one.. I'm just battin the idea around... the motor still runs strong and im not gettin into forged internals and everything else along with it until its about dead... if i was gonna go that route from the start i'd be building it all motor and not worrying about forced induction

Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Jay1751
Amateur

here it is.. knew i saw it somewhere. this is straight off of procharger's web site :

HO Intercooled ProCharger system for Dodge Hemi 5.7 Rams. The system produces 45-50% power gains on stock motors running pump gas with 6 psi of intercooled boost. Featuring the coolest charge air temperatures available, the ProCharged system delivers industry leading power gains and superior engine longevity.

Industry exclusive features include a 3-core air-to-air intercooler system, and patented self-contained supercharger with 3-year warranty. The HO Intercooled ProCharger system is 100% complete, with supplemental injectors and programming to ensure maximum performance.

ProCharger systems feature easy installation, minimal relocation of components, no need to punch a hole in the oil pan, and avoid having to deal with all the complexity of an air-to-water intercooler.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

I don't wana be that guy, but IMO I don't believe that your truck will last long enough to invest this kind of money. The 3rd gen rams are great trucks, don't get me wrong, but more of them turn to sh** long before 200k. Plus it is an engine that is not designed to have a supercharger, theres probably a reason very few do it. If you got the money and think it's worth it than that's your call, I just wanted to add that these are not super long lasting trucks.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Jay1751
Amateur

haha its all good your not being that guy. honesty is always appreciated. Thats kind of how ive been feeling, but wasnt entirely sure (hence the reason of this post).. truck is still running like a champ, but does have a couple signs of age

Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay1751
haha its all good your not being that guy. honesty is always appreciated. Thats kind of how ive been feeling, but wasnt entirely sure (hence the reason of this post).. truck is still running like a champ, but does have a couple signs of age
More Torque more Breakdowns..... Reliability is always the enemy when you start modifying anything, especially vehicles....

I'd love to see this project finished and running, would be sick

I'd suggest beefing up the Trans, and rest of the drive train just to be safe... and if this is going to be a daily driver I'd suggest a turbo over a S/C just to help save SOME fuel, but either way it would be awesome.

Quick Reply: Supercharger advice