3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I_am_tcrow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Exhaust

I currently have a single in single out flowmaster 40 but it's not what I expected it to sound like. So I am wondering what is the best exhaust to run to get that deep throaty roar from the Hemi.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:47 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no best to answer your question honestly. People hear and like different sounds so what may seem like the "best" to some may be hated by others. That being said while I still have my stock exhaust which sucks. I personally like the sound from the Cherry Bomb Extreme, Aero Turbine or even a short Magnaflow. And since I throw this out every time I see the word Flowmaster I feel inclined to tell you if you want better performance and sound, ditch the Flowmaster. It may sound good but it flows like crap, even compared to most stock set ups

Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
I_am_tcrow

haha well I bought it on a whim just to get rid of the stock cause it was cheap. I'm just trying to get an idea of what everyone likes ands go from there.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know why nobody likes Flowmaster.Everyone seems to think that it doesn't flow well. I think mine flows to well at times. I have a single in, dual out super 40 and then they exit out right behind the rear tires through 31/2" expansion tips. I think it sounds awesome. It’s loud when I get on it and quiet when I get up to cruising speed. Quiet enough that you can have a normal conversation without screaming.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
I don't know why nobody likes Flowmaster.Everyone seems to think that it doesn't flow well. I think mine flows to well at times. I have a single in, dual out super 40 and then they exit out right behind the rear tires through 31/2" expansion tips. I think it sounds awesome. It’s loud when I get on it and quiet when I get up to cruising speed. Quiet enough that you can have a normal conversation without screaming.
If you go to the FAQs and find Hammers thread on CFM rates you'll see the numbers he has where the majority of FM products flow less then the stock set up. FMs are all show and no go

Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is pretty subjective. It's quantitatively proven (as said, search a bit and find the numbers on here) that Flowmasters have worse flow than the stock setup in most cases. That being said, every muffler that has caught my ear when driving by has almost always been a Flowmaster. Though I admit it might have been a bit *too* loud and obnoxious, I absolutely loved the sound of my old 50 series. I have a 70 series on there right now (availability when I needed to change out the muffler for something quieter in order to pass inspection), and I'm very happy with the sound of it, though it's not nearly as deep as the 50 series was. It is still plenty obnoxious, though...

That's just subjective personal opinion, of course, and not attempting to defend anything but the tone of the Flowmaster.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want it to sound like mine?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
This is pretty subjective. It's quantitatively proven (as said, search a bit and find the numbers on here) that Flowmasters have worse flow than the stock setup in most cases. That being said, every muffler that has caught my ear when driving by has almost always been a Flowmaster. Though I admit it might have been a bit *too* loud and obnoxious, I absolutely loved the sound of my old 50 series. I have a 70 series on there right now (availability when I needed to change out the muffler for something quieter in order to pass inspection), and I'm very happy with the sound of it, though it's not nearly as deep as the 50 series was. It is still plenty obnoxious, though...

That's just subjective personal opinion, of course, and not attempting to defend anything but the tone of the Flowmaster.

Unless your truck spends it's life on a dyno, you will never ever realize any performance gains be it a FM a Magnaflow or a Dynomax. I've had them all on my truck and could tell no performance difference in any of them, except for the sound

Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
Unless your truck spends it's life on a dyno, you will never ever realize any performance gains be it a FM a Magnaflow or a Dynomax. I've had them all on my truck and could tell no performance difference in any of them, except for the sound
I agree. I've seen many a dyno run in my day and on a Hemi, going from the worst flowing mufflers to the best, you'll see maybe a 5-8 RWHP difference. When you're talking 250 or so RWHP (out of a mostly stock truck), the old "butt dyno" isn't going to be able to tell the difference...

Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, its going to be hard to get a consensus. You're best bet is to read through some of the exhaust threads and do some youtubing. It wont be exactly how it sounds in real life but you will get some idea. My two cents, i like the cherry bomb extreme and the some of the short magnaflows.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust