3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

carli or bds

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 AM
mauicab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carli or bds

I have an 08 megacab 1500 4x4 and I was wondering if anyone could help me in deciding which suspension to go with. 99% highway driven and I was hoping to get some opinions on whether to go with the carli suspension 2.0 or bds 6" long arm. I want to run 35" tires with 20" Fuel wheels so if anyone has either lift or any advice I would really appreciate it. The carli is going to run me about $3000 and I could get a really nice set up with the bds too so please help

Thank you in advance....

Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

I've heard absolutely nothing but good things about Carli, I'll probably do a Carli setup myself. People seem extremely happy with them. Buddy has one and says it rides much better than stock.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're never going to offroad with the truck then why spend the money on a hardcore kit like the Carli? Also why get 35s with 20" wheels? 17s are lighter and will give you more sidewall for if you ever offroad. Nothing wrong with either kit and if you have the money to blow then by all means get the Carli but the BDS can be had for cheaper and will give you 100% of the look (if thats all you want) and probably like 75% of the function

Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 PM
mauicab
Default carli or bds

Well I guess its all about the looks because the carli 2.0 is a 3" lift and I can put 35s on it but I believe I'm limited to the wheel size. Reading different threads I see I can only use a 20x9 wheel to avoid rubbing and I was really wanting the Fuel 20x12 Deep Octane or Hostage wheel. Going with a bds would be a 6" lift and I could maybe even go with 37s. Just hoping theres someone who has either setup that could give me more opinions, otherwise I'll just continue to search the archives or look for pics of what either could possibly look like especially on a mega cab.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Well using that logic, why do ANYTHING to our vehicles? Why not leave them stock?

We mod because we want to. You don't have to go offroad to warrant aftermarket suspension, the ride improvement and increased clearance for larger tires is worth it alone. You also upgrade factory parts to better aftermarket parts. Win-win.

I have 35's and 20's, not an issue. Far better looks than 17's, and the truck actually handles better. It's not a Viper, but pretty good for a 1 ton diesel.

The 20x12 may look cool, but getting a set that doesn't rub may be a pain in the rear; I can almost guarantee even with a 6" lift, 37's won't clear on that deep of a wheel

Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
Well using that logic, why do ANYTHING to our vehicles? Why not leave them stock?

We mod because we want to. You don't have to go offroad to warrant aftermarket suspension, the ride improvement and increased clearance for larger tires is worth it alone. You also upgrade factory parts to better aftermarket parts. Win-win.

I have 35's and 20's, not an issue. Far better looks than 17's, and the truck actually handles better. It's not a Viper, but pretty good for a 1 ton diesel.

The 20x12 may look cool, but getting a set that doesn't rub may be a pain in the rear; I can almost guarantee even with a 6" lift, 37's won't clear on that deep of a wheel
I'm not telling him to NOT get either one. I'm just suggesting to him that if he doesn't offroad with it why get an extremely expensive kit that's intended for hardcore offroad use when he can get a cheaper kit and get the same look he wants with most of the offraod use if he ever needs it. 35s on 20s aren't an issue but it's been proven by many members on here that 35s on 17s are lighter which means slight MPG increase and the additional sidewall makes the ride smoother because there's more tire to absorb bumps. But I do agree with you that 20x12s are WAY too wide of a wheel for what he wants. Those wheels are for someone who is planning on doing like military tires or something those size. You generally want the tire to be about 3 inches wider than the wheel, +/- 1 inch is acceptable as well

Quick Reply: carli or bds