3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

sweet baby jesus!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
But my hemi is paid for. How long is that added mileage going to take to negate the price of the new truck?
A long, long time. Longer than many folks would keep the vehicle. It would probably take 120K to break even.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
Apples and oranges. First of all, if you are getting 13mpg, something is wrong. The correct comparison for the point, should be the newest gas Ram that they are claiming 25mpg highway vs. the new diesel.
That would make the diesel's cost-per-mile even worse. And BTW, 13 mpg is 'bout the right average for a Quad Cab Hemi. Anyone claiming significantly better is severely deluded.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 PM
hemi4109
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
That would make the diesel's cost-per-mile even worse. And BTW, 13 mpg is 'bout the right average for a Quad Cab Hemi. Anyone claiming significantly better is severely deluded.
Not when talking highway miles.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

30 mpg?! No way. Maybe 17 under the same conditions. If you actually run the numbers, that diesel truck will cost more per mile to operate than the same truck with a Hemi.
Ram is claiming 30 MPG out of the new engine with the truck. They're probably going to mate it with either a 6 speed or the 8 speed

Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

https://dodgeforum.com/articles/2013...this-year.html

Looks to be 8 spd but if the cheroke 2wd is getting 30, I suspect a truck might be 1 or 2 less than that. 4x4 probably closer to 25 than 30. Anyway, it should be at least a couple more than the comparable V6/8spd combo but with way more low end torque. Who knows what real world numbers will be like. With the new EPA regs, the big diesels aren't getting anywhere near what they should so I wouldn't jump on the 30mpg band wagon anytime soon.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:35 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

30 mpg?! No way. Maybe 17 under the same conditions. If you actually run the numbers, that diesel truck will cost more per mile to operate than the same truck with a Hemi.
Wrong. The diesel will get substantially better than 17, mark my words. Will it get 30? Maybe not, but I bet it gets pretty close

Old 02-16-2013, 08:26 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
Wrong. The diesel will get substantially better than 17, mark my words. Will it get 30? Maybe not, but I bet it gets pretty close
You're believing the hype. Take a look at the "Fuelly" site. The running average is under 16 for the past 8 years.

I don't own a diesel (never will - I have no need), but I've been on the forums for a while now. I don't recall anyone demonstrating better than 18-19. Lotsa claims of better from people who rely on the computer to replace simple math, but calculated correctly over time, no vehicle gets what the manufacturer (or the EPA) says it does.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

I think Dodge just plain missed the mark seeking MPG out of a half ton truck. The Pentastar might get 25 MPG in a 2WD but has so little torque it can't pull half what a Ford Ecoboost can. Why didn't Dodge turbo the Penastar, then they might have something!

If you never plan to haul much I guess it's an OK thing to go with a V-6. My bud's Ecoboost gets 17-20 MPG and has tons of power. I LOVE the low end grunt it has as we know our HEMi's have very little of that.

At least with a diesel the low end torque would be there and with the help of the aftermarket the pontential for more power without having the bolt on expensive parts. Time will tell. I just wonder how much more $$ vs. gas.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

You're believing the hype. Take a look at the "Fuelly" site. The running average is under 16 for the past 8 years.

I don't own a diesel (never will - I have no need), but I've been on the forums for a while now. I don't recall anyone demonstrating better than 18-19. Lotsa claims of better from people who rely on the computer to replace simple math, but calculated correctly over time, no vehicle gets what the manufacturer (or the EPA) says it does.
The average for what? An engine that isn't even on the road here yet? Makes sense...

I'm not buying into any hype, I know exactly what a diesel acts like; show me a gasser in a 1 ton pickup that puts down over 500hp at the tires and still gets 20mpg on the highway, and I'll show you a unicorn.

A smaller engine in a much lighter vehicle, with better gear splits, should get a good deal more than my truck does.

Quick Reply: sweet baby jesus!