3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

4x2 off roading

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 PM
team_realtree
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x2 off roading

I've slowly built up my 2wd truck to be more suitable to take off road and I have a few questions for you guys.

I have new cooper mud tires and I paid a good bit of cash for them i was wondering how much does offroad wheel spin effect tire tread wear in say mud or dry terrain as opposed to spinning from a red light?

If I'm out alone and end up getting in a jam any tricks aside from calling a buddy to come pull me out? Not that I would be taking my truck in a mud hole just say I get on too steep an incline in mud and can't get unstuck..i was thinking throw some plywood and a jack in the back/ jack up spinning rear wheel and throw sheet of plywood underneath

I'm getting a powertrax no slip in a few weeks so that will make a huge difference hopefully.

Any info on 2wd offroading is much appreciated!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine spinning in mud wouldn't be near as bad as spinning on dry pavement as the traction is far less, meaning it would take less energy to spin the tires.

Plywood or 2x4's and a jack could be nice. A good comealong and some straps would be good too.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

For any offroading, a good 3-4' farm jack with a nice big wood pad so you don't lose the thing in some soil/mud is definately nice. Depending if there are trees around, something you can pound in the ground with a sledge is handy to hook up a comealong and get yourself out. An axe, a shovel and bucksaw never hurt in case you have to come up with something under you truck. If you carry plywood, make sure it's not a nice smooth piece that will give you zero traction when wet or even worst, get shot out and hit something when you spin on it. As long as you don't jump into something at 40mph, you should always be able to pull yourself back out slowly with this. I guess you could add a nice set of chains to the list if you really want to fling some dirt/mud around.

Last edited by hemi4109; 03-14-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

Tire chains, handyman jack, strap and a come a long will get you out of just about anything assuming you can reach a tree or something solid enough to pull it out.. Always take someone with you and a full tank of fuel is a PLUS!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Rock it back and forth (reverse and drive) and if stuck the worst thing you can do is floor it cuz you'll dig a hole, found that one out the hard way lol. Never go up an incline in mud cuz your front won't be able to help

Quick Reply: 4x2 off roading