3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

is there really a big mpg diffrence between the 4.7 and the 5.7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 PM
hemi4109
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
You'll never see the EPA numbers on these trucks, simple as that. But since you tow a boat I would go with the Hemi. Plus why get a lesser engine when they both have just about the same claimed MPG numbers?
If you drive per the test parameters and keep the truck stock it will meet those numbers. Just ask Hyundai how much it'll cost them to make up the difference on what they claimed for the last few years. That being said, if you plan on using the truck for any work, the hemi is a better choice over the 4.7. It was no comparison in the trucks I test drove with each engine but I will say the hemi is an absolute pig in the city compared to every other V8 I've owned, but it sure puts a smile on your face when you wind it up a bit.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well obviously if you drive within the parameters you'll get what they say but those parameters were set so many years ago and the average driving experience is no where near those conditions anymore. No one drives like they do, especially in trucks. Even when my truck was stock and I drove like a grandma I never got the EPA city numbers. Highway I did but not city at all. The best I've ever seen on my truck stock was 11.5/21

Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both in my fleet of work trucks.. same year, same body, same everything except one is powered with a 4.7, the other a 5.7...

we drive up and down the highways, between MCIEast Marine Corps Bases/Installations.. they are most often together, with four passengers each..

we have learned that gear always goes in the hemi, and only load the 4.7 with overflow.. unloaded, the 4.7 gets better mileage.. loaded, the hemi does by a pretty decent margin..

point is, the 4.7 loads up with little weight and economy takes a huge nose dive when the engine struggles... it takes a lot more weight to load up the hemi, and it carries it without as much effort- and it surpasses the economy of the 4.7 at some point because of that..

Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Brock_USMC
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 5.9L CTD, even with the extra cost of maintenance and diesel, it's worth it. I will NEVER buy another gas truck.

Quick Reply: is there really a big mpg diffrence between the 4.7 and the 5.7?