3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need help deciding on exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 PM
jcall2751
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding on exhaust!!

I just recently bought a 2004 1500 SLT, 5.7 Hemi 4WD and I really want to upgrade the exhaust system but I'm undecided on what I want. I'll be completely honest, I don't know too much about this. I was thinking of straight piping it from the cat back. I was told by a friend to use 2.5" pipes but I'm unsure. I love the sound of it but I don't want to run into back pressure problems and end up with a raspy system. Would 2.5" be a good choice to go with in that situation or should I think of other things? Also Aluminum vs Stainless steel? any pros and cons would be appreciated!!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Blacksport
Captain

I myself have a 3" Magnaflow cat back system. It sounds nice throaty, but not red neck loud, and I have little to no drone. I would go stainless if you can afford it. It's just better and it will last longer. And get it welded!! If you're going for the system, get the Y pipe that magnaflow has, part#10778 I think. It flows a lot better than the stock one.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 PM
jcall2751

okay, thanks for your input! I'll keep all of that in mind.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Magnaflow or go slow! LoL but seriously, I can't say enough good things about my Maggie muffler. I had a custom setup bent and welded for me by a shop, and it was cheaper than buying a "catback" system from anywhere I could find. Stock system was removed from before the "Y" pipe all the way back. It was replaced with dual 2.5" pipes into a dual-in/dual-out magnaflow muffler and dumped before the axle under the bed. All-in, the system set me back about $300.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
Magnaflow or go slow! LoL but seriously, I can't say enough good things about my Maggie muffler. I had a custom setup bent and welded for me by a shop, and it was cheaper than buying a "catback" system from anywhere I could find. Stock system was removed from before the "Y" pipe all the way back. It was replaced with dual 2.5" pipes into a dual-in/dual-out magnaflow muffler and dumped before the axle under the bed. All-in, the system set me back about $300.

I have to agree with Brandon, as I have the identical system he has with the exception that I use a magnaflow dual-in dual-out x pipe muffler, and I have full tailpipes, but the system sounds great and truck runs excellent . 2.5 inch pipe is perfect size for the hemis

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on exhaust!!