3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

new shocks for a leveled truck.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 AM
eng18ine
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new shocks for a leveled truck.

hey guys, can someone reccomend shocks for my truck? i noticed today, after leveling my truck a couple weeks ago that i was i guess topping out my shocks on some larger bumps, not to mention the harsher ride.

but can anyone recommend shocks for it? most of the driving is street, with maybe going down a dirt/small rock trail, maybe a mud hole every now and then.

its an 04 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4. leveled 2 inches in the front. the rear shocks need replacing too, but thats at stock height.

thanks!

Old 04-14-2013, 03:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Hammer beat me to it. I saw this thread earlier and was going to come back and post the same link. I have the rough countries on mine and am very pleased with the ride. They came in a kit with 2 new rear shocks and reindexed leveling keys. I am lifting the rear and leveling the front of my Chevy this week with a kit that includes 4 new procomp Es's for leveled truck and will be able to report on those afterwards. That truck, stock, rides like a dog compared to my ram so anything is going to be an improvement.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Greg, you shouldn't see much difference in the shocks if any (now of course your comparing apples to orangutans because of the different trucks). Rough Country, Skyjacker, Procomp and at least a dozen other white, generic off-road shocks all come off the same line at Tenneco. Just the sticker and maybe boot color (if applicable) are different...

Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Yeh, have heard that Hammer but wasn't sure which brand names were physically the same. Not really expecting to be able to tell a difference between the shocks given two different trucks that have a vastly different ride to begin with. But hope I can tell a positive before and after difference on the Chevy. When I was researching leveling here, I remember looking for shocks from the link above as well if I just cranked the bars.

Funny thing is, my tire guy wanted to put new keys on my dodge but told me to just crank the bars on my Chevy. But I need the keys on the Chevy to get more crank to offset the rear blocks.

OP, a lot of people love bilsteins. I have never had any. But I can vouch that the rough countries are good to me. And as Hammer points out, many of the others are the same under different brand names.

Quick Reply: new shocks for a leveled truck.