3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Plastidipped my wheels, badges, hood scoop :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:41 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastidipped my wheels, badges, hood scoop :)

Here is my latest pic, thoughts?

Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Nice. Will be interesting to hear from you in 6 months or so as far as how your rims hold up. I've plasti-dipped all my badges but already have black rims. I've been surprised and impressed about how well the badges have held up so far. I usually wash the truck here at home but have taken it to the high pressure spray wash a couple of times since dipping everything and haven't had any come off yet.

My daughter has a 2000 4runner and we like the stock rims but when you look at them closely, you can see that they aren't in perfect shape. I've thought about plast-dipping them but was worried it wouldn't hold up. Did you prep your wheels in any way, or just clean them up and spray them?

Old 03-30-2013, 04:35 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
Nice. Will be interesting to hear from you in 6 months or so as far as how your rims hold up. I've plasti-dipped all my badges but already have black rims. I've been surprised and impressed about how well the badges have held up so far. I usually wash the truck here at home but have taken it to the high pressure spray wash a couple of times since dipping everything and haven't had any come off yet.

My daughter has a 2000 4runner and we like the stock rims but when you look at them closely, you can see that they aren't in perfect shape. I've thought about plast-dipping them but was worried it wouldn't hold up. Did you prep your wheels in any way, or just clean them up and spray them?
As long as you use enough coats it should hold up for 6 months easy. I used about 6 coats on each rim. And if one starts peeling or flaking it's really easy to peel off the whole coat and just respray it.
Yeah I just took a washcloth and some soapy water and washed them real good. Just have to make sure you get them completely dry before spraying. I have also power washed my wheels and they haven't peeled.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i plastidipped my rims maybe 9 mos back, they have just barely started showing a couple of small chips, from 3 feet away you cant see anything, but they aren't perfect anymore. The winter was rough on them I guess. Still, for the 20 bucks it cost me, i was pretty happy with it. Not sure what I will do in the future, could re-dip, spray paint or maybe time for new wheels.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM
cjs4444
All Star

Looks good...now time to do the ram head, hemi badge and fuel door

Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Looks Sweet! Now you can do the cross hairs in the grill and the door spears to really make it pop.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 PM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the red Plastidip when compared to 2002 Flame red? My wheels need a touch-up

Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM
cjs4444
All Star

Originally Posted by broggyr
How is the red Plastidip when compared to 2002 Flame red? My wheels need a touch-up

Ive never seen the red plasti-dip....but the black would look good

Quick Reply: Plastidipped my wheels, badges, hood scoop :)