3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Whats your MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're the first person on here to ever complain about having 4.10s lol

Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once a *****, always a *****, experience has taught me.

Ever heard "you can't squeeze blood from a turnip"? Keep the truck maintained and perhaps add a tuner. The rest is just throwing money down a hole that could go towards your fuel bill. Even the collective brain power here (less a few ******) can't out engineer people that design these vehicles for a living.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Diesels will do that to you.
Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg

Ever heard "you can't squeeze blood from a turnip"? Keep the truck maintained and perhaps add a tuner. The rest is just throwing money down a hole that could go towards your fuel bill. Even the collective brain power here (less a few ******) can't out engineer people that design these vehicles for a living.
Pretty much.

About the only thing a guy can do, is mod for power, and try to keep his foot out of it. The more power you have on tap, within reason, the less effort the engine has to give to get these aerodynamic bricks moving. Hence, slightly better MPG.

Hey, Jiga!! Try just changing out your carriers already and quit spending so much cash on turbos!!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, proper tune, a tuner, and maybe an efan if you do a lot of city driving is about all that is gonna get you more mpgs.....

Old 04-18-2013, 02:30 AM
cuda19791
Rookie

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
We all have Rams like yours, and probably all of us have had them longer than you, but like I said, had you searched the forum files, you could have had all your questions answered without starting another MPG thread. If you want to participate in the forum, use all its resources, and then we wont have to read another useless thread that's been discussed for years. I sure hope your not always a *****, because it wont help you in here
Ok so you have had your truck longer then me so what. If I just wanted to search my question I would not have joined this forum. Like I said I wanted to ask my question and see what other people getting isn't that what a forum is for. So again if you are sick of the discussion DO NOT READ IT. Thanks

Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 AM
cuda19791
Rookie

Originally Posted by mbehr55
I've got a 2005 Ram 2500 2wd and my combined city/hwy is running 15 plus (more hwy than city). Like you, I too am interested in real world examples of mpg and the successes and failures (documented not just speculated) of those who have experimented before me.

I am currently using a Diablo Sport Predator set for 87 Performance Tune. You can read all the dirty details at the thread entitled diablo-sport-predator-mpg-improvement.

Onward thru the fog..........
Thats cool. I am using superchips mileage tune right now but I will soon switch to the performance tune and see if it changes anything.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 AM
cuda19791
Rookie

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg

I'm not always a ***** but when I am it's because someone is being a smartass and saying things like "you can't squeeze blood from a turnip"? Like i said I know alot of you guys have seen this thread a million times but you do not have to read every one. Also I will keep my truck maintained and I already have a tuner. The only other things I might do is an e-fan and a cat back exhuast. Witch everybody says will help mpg and performance. Thanks

Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you need to understand is that by having you and others not use the search function to find the answer to your question first, you clog up the forum and push down specific questions that some guys and gals have about their truck that can't be found in the searches. It's not about picking on the new guy, it's just about keeping the forum free of excess clutter so others can get their specific questions answered.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM
cuda19791
Rookie

What you need to understand is that by having you and others not use the search function to find the answer to your question first, you clog up the forum and push down specific questions that some guys and gals have about their truck that can't be found in the searches. It's not about picking on the new guy, it's just about keeping the forum free of excess clutter so others can get their specific questions answered.
Ok the guy in charge should make a place in this forum were new members can go and talk about all of the FAQs that would solve the problem i think.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha, you try having a redline of 3200rpm and enough torque on the ground to explode a 1500's rear axle...literally...

4.10's are utterly useless on my truck unless I was turning 37" or larger tires or competing in sled pulls dragging a 40k lb sled that is trying to bury itself in the dirt...

I'm turning 35s and I want 3.55s lol

going 2000rpm @ 68mph is ridiculous. much rather have 70mph at 1500rpm. much better in my opinion! then maybe that first gear might be more useful than going 2mph... (I NEVER use first gear)

1500 at freeway speeds would do quite nicely. I would even settle for 1800rpm @ 70mph. but 2100 @ 70. ugh. may be a laugh for you V8's but keep in mind 3200rpm is redline for me! I'm over 1/2 my RPM band at 2100rpm.

as for the tires..turning 35's is effortless. I can easily light them up on dry pavement and at 70mph if i put the pedal down on wet pavement it breaks loose and can't hold traction to save its life.

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Hey, Jiga!! Try just changing out your carriers already and quit spending so much cash on turbos!!
oh shut it!

send me an extra $3500 and I'll get right on the swap!

besides I haven't done any new performance mods to my truck since 2010

well I did get a smarty programmer, but that doesn't count! I don't stack it, I used it to get though emissions which worked out quite nicely actually truck cant blow smoke out the tailpipe if it is essentially in limp mode (50% power mode)

recently The only mods to the truck have been fixing the worthless dodge steering with the 4th gen steering upgrade, 3rd gen style adjustable track bar, and a box brace. swear this engine is going to outlast the truck by 20 years

Last edited by Jigabop; 04-18-2013 at 01:29 PM.