3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Factory remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Shawn Selzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory remote

i lost my factory remote, is there a way to program another with out sending my truck to the dealer? i have a 04 hemi 1500 4x2

Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through this when I first bought my truck. I didn't receive a remote and only one key so I know what you need.

You may be able to find a locksmith who has the very expensive computer software/ tool to get the required info from your truck to program a new remote for you, but it is doubtful. If you take your truck to a dealership service department and explain what you need (like I did), they can get the numbers needed for a locksmith to program a new remote. It only takes them a few short minutes if they're not busy when you bring it in. Dealers like to charge quite a bit for programming and selling a new remote, but some of them are more understanding and will work with you. If you are able to get the info from the dealer, make sure you keep the numbers safe! Those give full access to your truck's systems via the PCM so any thief who gets those numbers can have a remote made to access your vehicle, and I believe can have keys made as well...

Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now you have no key fob? Or do you still have the other one?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Selzer
i lost my factory remote, is there a way to program another with out sending my truck to the dealer? i have a 04 hemi 1500 4x2
Shawn,

Do you still have one key fob that is programmed for your Ram? A total of 4 fobs can be programmed to your vehicle through the use of a currently programmed fob. However if you do not have a programmed transmitter you will have to contact a Dodge dealer to further assist for vehicle security reasons.

To program key fobs:

1. Enter the vehicle and close the door.
2. Fasten your seat belt (this will cancel any chiming that may cause confusion during the procedure)
3. Place key in ignition
4. Turn the ignition to the ON position (Do not start the engine)
5. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on a programmed key fob
6. Continue to hold the UNLOCK button, wait at least 4 secs, but no longer then 10 secs, then press and hold the PANIC button
7. When a single chime is heard, release both buttons. The chime indicates the system is in program mode
8. Press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, simultaneously on the fob to be programmed
9. A single chime will be heard and will indicate that the fob has been recognized
10. Within 4 secs of hearing the chime, press and release any button on the fob to be programmed.
11. A single chime will be heard that indicates that fob has been programmed
12. Repeat steps 8-11 for a total of 4 fobs
13. Turn the ignition to the OFF position or wait 60 secs to exit program mode
14. Your vehicle will remain in program mode for up to 60 secs from when the original chime was heard. After 60 seconds, all programmed fobs will function normally.

This information can be found on page 26 of the Owner's Manual.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: Factory remote