3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Front Wheel Bearing Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Upstate NY'er
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Bearing Help

here's what i have: 2008 Quad Cab Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi. 4wd with rear ABS only.

I am hearing/feeling a grinding noise as i turn corners and think it's the wheel bearing. Truck has 73k on it. Now i've physically looked at the left front hub and the right front hub. the left front has some kind of sensor and the right front does not. Both dealerships i've talked to can't explain why. they said it's for ABS and maybe someone put the wrong hub in there. They said that the right and left hub assemblies are identical. I'm having a hard time believing them, so i wanted to ask the true experts. for some reason i thought i read that the sensor is for cruise control? can someone help me out and let me know what i need to replace the front hubs? I've read timkens are the way to go, just need to know which ones!

on a side note, several times i have my cruise control on and then it just shuts off and i can't turn it back on until i turn off the truck and start it again. does this have anything to do with the sensor on the hub?

Last edited by Upstate NY'er; 04-16-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM
cuda19791
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Upstate NY'er
here's what i have: 2008 Quad Cab Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi. 4wd with rear ABS only.

I am hearing/feeling a grinding noise as i turn corners and think it's the wheel bearing. Truck has 73k on it. Now i've physically looked at the left front hub and the right front hub. the left front has some kind of sensor and the right front does not. Both dealerships i've talked to can't explain why. they said it's for ABS and maybe someone put the wrong hub in there. They said that the right and left hub assemblies are identical. I'm having a hard time believing them, so i wanted to ask the true experts. for some reason i thought i read that the sensor is for cruise control? can someone help me out and let me know what i need to replace the front hubs? I've read timkens are the way to go, just need to know which ones!

on a side note, several times i have my cruise control on and then it just shuts off and i can't turn it back on until i turn off the truck and start it again. does this have anything to do with the sensor on the hub?
I just had to replace that sensor myself it is the LF wheel speed sensor and I know that it is for the cruise control. The problem I had was the cruise would turn on but once I got up to 5mph the cruise would shut off and would not come back on. I replaced the sensor and that fixed the issue. As for the wheel bearing I am not sure on that but I would get the part they say you need and try to match it up to yours before you take it off. Hope that helps

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing Help