3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tires for the stock 20s

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM
HawkHemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for the stock 20s

Hey all,
Not sure if this is come up before but I'm new here so I don't really know my way around yet. If it has been discussed just point me in the right direction. I have an 05 1500 SLT QC and my tires are wearing down. I'm looking to go for a more aggressive tire, I really like the BF Goodrich A/Ts and am wondering how these would look on the chrome 20s. I'm not a huge fan of the wheels but I don't want to spend the money on new ones. I really think these tires look better with more sidewall than the 275/60/20 but that's what I have to work with. Let me know if you have any experience with this, or any pictures would be awesome. Also, any other tire recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Sidewall" is a result of tire size, not tire brand. What size A/Ts are you looking at?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM
HawkHemi

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
"Sidewall" is a result of tire size, not tire brand. What size A/Ts are you looking at?
I understand the sidewall I just mean I think those tires look better with smaller wheels than 20s. I want to stick with the stock 275/60/20

Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Dude, make sure you really want to stick with the 20's because when you buy tires for them, you will be stuck with them for a while. That's what I did the first time I needed tires. Even though I knew 17's would look better to me and would be better for my towing, I bought another set of 20's because I was so worried my ride quality would suffer from the leveling I would have to do to fit the minimum size tire I would want. Next time around, I spent the extra coin on the rims and I am still kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Looks better, tows better, and the ride did change but is still way better than anything else I have driven as far as pickups go.

I haven't compared prices myself but see if the tire price difference would help offset the cost of wheels. Those 20's ain't cheap but no tire is cheap these days. Decent wheels can be had for pretty good prices and you can always sell the stock 20's to help also. You won't get anywhere near what a dealer would charge but it will help.

Your call - just sharing my experience.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 PM
HawkHemi

Thanks for the response Greg. What size wheel/tire did you go with?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Look under my sig pic. 17x9 wheels, 4.5" backspace, -12mm offset. Nitto Terra Grapplers size 305/70R17. I am pretty sure I could run 315/70's just as easily but these meats are big enough.

Quick Reply: Tires for the stock 20s