3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

03 Ram CV Axle Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM
navaho19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Ram CV Axle Shimmy

ok so i have an 03 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7, and have had this problem for a while. ive seen a few forums that have similar problems but not quite like mine. as usual i have vibration at highway speeds. this orginally occured 3yrs ago which lead to my driver side cv axle to blow, ive since then had them removed gone to automotive school and learned how to fix what i thought was wrong. i replaced both intermeadiate shafts and cv axles recently. went for a drive and again at highway speeds i had the vibration. note this did not happen when they were taken out for the past 3yrs. so looked it up and noticed there was a bearing on the driver side that probably was worn out. so i replaced it today and still have the shimmy in the inner cv joint at the pumpkin. its not skakin on the shaft itself. i took the front diff cover off and shook the cv again and noticed that the driver side, side gear was moving as if it were loose. i know that there are shims behind them and i am wondering if replacing the shims or possibly adding more would fix my problem without binding up the gears. the passenger side is fine no play at all. so if anyone has any idea how to fix this or has ran into it themselve plz throw in ur 2 cents anything helps

Quick Reply: 03 Ram CV Axle Shimmy