3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

From standard exhaust to proper singing V8..your thoughts and ideas please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Dynomax are crap...ultra flow or any muffler with a x in the middle burn out the fiber glass packing due to creating restriction in the centre if the muffler, not balancing out ex flow.

My first crack at dynomax begin with my first attempts on my true dual ex systen, in 6 months you will be getting a new x flow dynomax under warenty and you will be going back again and again...

Stay with one muffler from the cat back with two out lets or run two individual mfflets, aviod any nuffler with fiberglasd packing..

And as I mentioned, I'm running glass packs that will burnt out, but so have a lot of brand nane mufflers I have tried before the cherry bombs.

Its not worth your tine and noney to value price your new ex system with dynonax clains...I had thier crap on my truck one too Manny tines...

I also have tried many muffler combos and for what the op is looking for the dynomax super turbo is the way to go. Sorry you've had trouble with yours but not all of us have such a biased opinion toward dynomax. The super turbo will last well and give him the sound he is looking for with no drone, and believe me on long trips drone is not your friend. It is the only muffler I have used that fills everything he is looking for. Maybe your x pipe muffler didn't work for you, but the super turbo will work for him

Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every muffler brand has thier own version of a super turbo muffler. Walker and dynomax atr the same company, and typically walker mufflers are cheaper in price.

I

Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Every muffler brand has thier own version of a super turbo muffler. Walker and dynomax atr the same company, and typically walker mufflers are cheaper in price.

I
I have tried other brands of TURBO mufflers, but the dynomax super turbo is definitely the quietest one of them all, has the best tone, and flows very well

Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I dunno why the Thrush is dissed, and I don't know why the Thrush has such bad CFM. I think it's because WATER flows differently than EXHAUST GAS. When testing CFM, water was used, not air. I mean, how can a muffler with barely any baffles flow LESS than a muffler with an assload of them?

Makes no sense to me.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
I dunno why the Thrush is dissed, and I don't know why the Thrush has such bad CFM. I think it's because WATER flows differently than EXHAUST GAS. When testing CFM, water was used, not air. I mean, how can a muffler with barely any baffles flow LESS than a muffler with an assload of them?

Makes no sense to me.

I had a Thrush Turbo once. It might be a good muffler if your exhaust system is nearly stock, but mine has shorty headers, magnaflow spun hi flow cats, and the thrush turbo was as loud and droned as much as any other muffler I ever tried, except for the Dynomax super turbo. I'm sure the thrush is good on some applications, but it wasn't on mine

Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
I had a Thrush Turbo once. It might be a good muffler if your exhaust system is nearly stock, but mine has shorty headers, magnaflow spun hi flow cats, and the thrush turbo was as loud and droned as much as any other muffler I ever tried, except for the Dynomax super turbo. I'm sure the thrush is good on some applications, but it wasn't on mine
Well that's a different application. lol
My stock muffler actually droned more than the Thrush, and at 70mph I can't even hear my exhaust until I downshift. It also freed up my exhaust a little bit since it holds gears a little better up hill. Hell, even my dad noticed it. lol

Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Thiers nothing wrong with thrush mufflers, I love glass packs, round case and stight flow, almost identical to a stright pipe.

I pickled cherry bomb due to the cheap cost to buy from sumnit racing (i had a coupon from a car show) and in realy happy..

Thiers room on a hemi to run two mufflers but knowing what I know now, I will never again change a perfectly intact stock ex sytem...

Your typical raspy, popping sound associated with glass packs, are not on the cherry bombs I'm running..

Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Well that's a different application. lol
My stock muffler actually droned more than the Thrush, and at 70mph I can't even hear my exhaust until I downshift. It also freed up my exhaust a little bit since it holds gears a little better up hill. Hell, even my dad noticed it. lol

Dodge Dude, are you still running the stock cats on your truck. Before I replaced mine I could run most any muffler, and not have drone, but after replacing the stock cats with the magnaflow hi flows, my exhaust got a lot louder, The spun cats are only 4 inches long and look nearly as straight through as a straight pipe. The 23 inch super turbo, 3 inch in with two 2.5's out is the only muffler I've found that has calmed down the drone on my truck. I wasn't dissing thrush, it just didn't work for me

Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Pardon. My confused question, you have 2 high flow cats from the stock manifolds into one 3 in pipe into 3in inlet from a super trubo muffler with two 2.5 oulets?

Running two individual 2.5 in pipes from the cat back into a single muffler with 2.5 inlets and two 2.5 oulets from stock cats is just as effective as replacing the stock cats....or am I missing some things? ?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:36 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The flow on glass packs/ Thrush mufflers comes from turbulence caused buy all of the small cut outs in the flow path. It reverberates the exhaust pulses and causes a traffic jam, thus back pressure.
The same think happens in stock air intakes with silencers in them such as the Hemi hat.
This also happen when people gut their cats. The larger diameter casing causes the exhaust to redirect and crash into itself, so you gain little flow and more noise.

Hard for me to explain by typing on a keyboard

Quick Reply: From standard exhaust to proper singing V8..your thoughts and ideas please!