3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2500 auto to manual conversion...anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM
ledyard
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 auto to manual conversion...anyone?

Anyone done one of these? I have an 04' auto. I have no (knock wood) issues with my tranny now. I get it serviced regularly and I don't tow or work my truck. I run 35" rubber and 4:56 gears with a super chips cortex.

If something ever happened I was thinking it might be cool to do a manual tranny conversion. How big of an issue would this be? I would obviously look for a wreck so I could take all the parts inside and out I would need.
I probably wouldn't do it myself honestly, I would take it to one of my close friends who owns a garage and lifts and all the right scenario to make it happen. He wouldn't charge me an arm and leg.

My brother has a 03' hemi 5 spd 2500 and its one bad *** truck.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM
ledyard
Rookie

and as a secondary question...... how much more would it gear my truck down with a 5 or 6 spd in it seeing as I already have 4:56 in it.

I go down the road at 75mph right now at about 2250rpm.

At one point I had planned to go from 35" tires to 37" or even 38" . But without 4:88 gears I don't want to do it and every bit of research I have ever done says there are no 4:88 available for the front end of my truck. Plus I don't feel like dumping that kind of cash on a gear change again.

driving on 37 or 38" with 4:56 would be just like going back to stock 3:73 with 35" rubber like when I bought the truck. Which sucked. However...... I assume the manual tranny would gear my truck down enough that I could actually run 37 or 38" rubber and still have a substantial amount of power and torque as I do now with my tire/gear setup. ?????

Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

I wouldnt do it. Your value goes way down if stuff like transmission, engine, ect don't match up with your vin

Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 PM
ledyard
Rookie

This truck has 90k on it now. I plan on doing a complete chassis saver under coat on body panels ect, rhino bed liner, rhino chip guard, aftermarket front bumper, lift, ect ect ect.... so this truck will be with me for at least another 100k(or probably 5-6 years) . The amount of money I will put into it i'll never get out of it. So the resale aspect isn't really a concern.

Quick Reply: 2500 auto to manual conversion...anyone?