3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

radiator issues, how detrimental?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator issues, how detrimental?

Went and looked at an 02 1500 with a 4.7 today. The guy selling it had an emergency and couldn't meet me but left the truck unlocked so I could look it over but I couldn't start or drive it. He said the radiators clogged up and he parked it after it overheated and hadn't messed with it since (late November) and I saw in one of the FAQs it's a common issue but how prone are the heads or gaskets to going bad from it if they overheat? The motor and engine bay in general were pretty clean, couldn't see anything leaking anywhere and the oil on the dipstick was clean and didn't seem to have any coolant in it. The guy wants next to nothing for it so I'm a bit skeptical of something he's not telling me. On the other hand it's an old work vehicle for him with pretty high miles (235k) and I think it might just not be worth as much to him as it seems to me.

Beds a bit beat up inside, tail gate is smashed up inside, drivers seat is missing a chunk out of it, needs tires in the rear, front bumper cover is smashed in a little and hanging off a little on the drivers side with no apparent damage to the mounts or frame but nothing major I can see and certainly nothing I can't fix. He said he'd take $1500 for it which seems awfully low to me and combined with the cooling issue has me a bit skeptical but the guy seems honest enough. I'm hoping I can just replace the radiator if not just backflush the cooling system and throw some used tires on it from work and be good to go. Am I overthinking the radiator issue or is it something to be concerned about beyond the obvious?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:17 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went for the same gamble 5 years ago and won but many have lost. The truck I bought was high mileage, low on coolant, and had a history of overheating on the highway. In the end it cost me a radiator, a water pump, and a thermostat to sort things out BUT I did buy the truck with an up to date safety so that ruled out any other major issues.
I would put a working battery in the truck and start it. If it goes, doesn't blow out of the radiator, and sounds OK then why not buy it? It must be worth 1500 in parts and chances are the guy just got bored with it after 240,000 miles.
Steve

Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

It starts, I just didn't have the key because he wasn't there. I'm gonna drive it tomorrow, I just didn't know how prone to damage they are from overheating or if the signs are hard to spot on this motor. Wanted to know if there wasn't anything obvious to look for other than the normal signs of head/gasket damage.

It's worth $1500 either way but I'm getting read to move and have nowhere to keep it to swap the motor if need be or part it out right now. I've got a couple extra bucks for a new truck to drive every day to replace the one I just sold so that's what I'm really after here.

This truck isn't what I'd planned on buying but it seems like a good deal, I just don't want to get stuck with it not running and be stuck driving my Jeep with no heat the rest of the winter.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I wouldn't touch an overheated 4.7 with that many miles on it with a 10' pole.
Warped (and sometimes cracked) heads are VERY common with this engine, even when just getting close to overheating.

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 01-09-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Ended up picking it up tonight. Radiators not even clogged, it's got a small split on it like a small rock or something got lucky through the grill and hit it. Drove it a bit and seemed confident enough to risk $1500.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a respectable truck, can't complain about that deal.
Steve

Old 01-11-2014, 12:01 AM
djibara
Professional

Nice buy with a good cleaning I bet it looks almost new

Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Motorcharge
Professional

Bed on the inside is a bit torn up, but no major dents and nothing some Monstaliner can't cover. Tailgate is beat to **** but I can always replace that for pretty cheap. Both bumpers need to be replaced but I found them online cheap but I might just weld up some steel bumpers instead. Bed has a couple dents outside but nothing huge. Interior needs a serious cleaning, stinks from being smoked in and the carpet is pretty stained up but the seats aren't dirty and the panels are all in good shape. Guy bought it after a hail storm so it's got little dents all over the hood and roof but I can fix those. Should be looking pretty damn good for $1500 with a little bit of work. I've got it at my shop today and got a battery and radiator to replace the old ones with so hopefully I can drive it home after I get off. I'll try to get some more pictures if I have time too.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:45 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep a close eye on that engine, and I would find some fresh heads in the meantime just in case. If the heads warp just enough they like to drop valve seats.

Quick Reply: radiator issues, how detrimental?