3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Exhaust Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Packy37
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Exhaust Setup?

Just bought an 06 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. The stock exhaust itself sounds good but I want something louder. I don't know if I should get duals at a 45 degree bend with like 4/5in tips or leave it to a single. I'm leaving the cats on it. But idk if I should just run straight pipe after the cats or put a flowmaster or magnaflow or something.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:23 AM
brickjaw

Flowmaster cat-back with a 50 series muffler will sound very good. Quiet inside and aggressive out the back. I have this and was pleasantly surprised by it. Sounds mean but not droney and annoying in the cab.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Packy37
Rookie

Okay. I would like to get some more opinions/suggestions. I don't really mind if it is kind of loud in the cab.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:21 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Then go Cherry Bomb Extreme or Flowmaster 10, which are basically clones of each other. They be stupid loud, trust me. I've got long tube headers and the CB Extreme and when you get on it, it's LOUD...

Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM
colbyj1986
Professional

I say go with the Cherry Bomb Extreme

Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got flow master 50 series single in dual out at a 45 degree angle with 4" tips on the end.it has a nice rumble to it until you get on it the it sounds mean as h**l!.I put Gibson shorty headers on it thinking it would make it a bit louder. It actually mellowed it out while your cruising but made it louder when you get on it

Old 05-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem, so I went with a 40 series dual chamber Flowmaster. It was ok and ran it for a couple years but I wanted louder outside with a quieter inside. So I then cut the exhaust after the cat and it sounds like a boats exhaust and I lost alot of my bottom end torque. I looked into Cherry Bomb but ended up going with a Wicked FLow which I am VERY happy with and I got all my torque back. I had my pipes custom made to come out before the rear tire. Here is the link of my truck right after the guy welded the exhaust on. Oh, and I also had him cut the two pipes before they go into the very restrictive factory Y pipe. So I have true dual pipes going in and out. I painted the pipes black with heat paint and it looks awesome.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
I've got flow master 50 series single in dual out at a 45 degree angle with 4" tips on the end.it has a nice rumble to it until you get on it the it sounds mean as h**l!.I put Gibson shorty headers on it thinking it would make it a bit louder. It actually mellowed it out while your cruising but made it louder when you get on it
Did you notice any gains with your headers? Been thinking about buying some. Also did you install them? Thanks.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i was thinking of going with a flowmaster 44 series 3" in and out with my 05 2500....... keeping the single for now, has anybody run a 44 series?? if so, how do they sound?? i don't care about noise in the cab, on my 03 dakota with a 3.9 i had a 3" in flowmaster 40 with 2x 2 1/4" out, and that was loud..... got stopped by the same cop twice in less than 2 weeks, lol....... and my ram is a 5 speed man. like my dakota was.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Packy37
Just bought an 06 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. The stock exhaust itself sounds good but I want something louder. I don't know if I should get duals at a 45 degree bend with like 4/5in tips or leave it to a single. I'm leaving the cats on it. But idk if I should just run straight pipe after the cats or put a flowmaster or magnaflow or something.

The best sounding system I had on my 06 was 2.5 inch back to a dual in dual out Magnaflow X pipe muffler. You would have to get a muffler shop to run two 2.5 inch pipe back from the cats and into the muffler and then decide where you want it to exit. I did the rear on mine. I took the muffler off and made it quieter toward the end of my ownership, and actually still have the muffler. It's polished stainless and in good shape if anyone is interested. PM me if anyone wants it

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust Setup?