3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My 02 5.9L CrewCab build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:37 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received the breather valve in today, it is just a fancy plastic macaroni tube. Nothing in it will keep oil from heading toward the upper plastic intake/throttle body so I do plan on getting an oil catch can for this (passenger) side also.

Received my new dash speakers in the mail just to realize.. there are 3 freaking speakers in the upper dash area.. SOB. So I will have to order another pair. Anyone want to split a set with me? LOL dammit..

Oh I got the Memphis PRX32 3.5" Coaxial Speakers Tweeters for my dash speakers. I remember Memphis as being a BADASS speaker company. So i will be purchasing another pair to make the odd 3 in the dash a full set. I wonder how an aftermarket stereo makes up for this? center speaker I guess.. huh. I have had head units in the past that have boasted having a center channel..

Slowly but surely she is coming together.

The Westin Wade molded floor mats are on their way here. I got black for the front and back. There is nothing but the drivers side in now, and it is just a crummy factory piece w/ a hole in it. Others must have been real rough and thrown away. Oh well it will be protected soon.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Finished up with my tuneup this weekend.

MSD:
Coil & 8.5mm wires. The wire organizers from MSD are useless. I could only get 1 wire to fit into them. I am going to send them back. Unless there is a better way of doing it.. not sure but thinking they are a waste of money. Ended up using zipties.

The Cap for the rotor/cap kit was good, the rotor was BAD. It slipped on and was able to move it up and down with no problem. A rotor is supposed to fit snuggly onto the shaft and you should not be able to pull it up, it should hug the shaft and not come loose easily. You do NOT want movement from it.

I video recorded the whole tuneup. I figure there is someone somewhere who will want to see it done, who will benefit from seeing it performed prior to doing it themselves.

Will be updating the treads sometime maybe today, going to start editing my videos today.

Way back in back the distributor sits. I removed the intake, the throttle body (I replaced it with a high flow unit) to get to the distributor's Cap and Rotor for the tuneup.

Cap and Rotor replaced. MSD 8.5mm wires used.

New grommets on both sides, and new breather/pcv valves were installed also. You can see the breather here and new grommet (grommet almost looks grey).

New MSD coil was used. The factory piece had the iron core starting to delaminate. It was time to change this out. Idle was rough and now the engine runs like a dream.

All done and buttoned back up.

Last edited by Black02CrCb; 01-03-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

I was just talking on the phone with a buddy, said you know.. you need to change out the fluids and O2's.. I told him I had planned on it. Well tonight going to pick my son up I had a code come up.

The dreaded P0420 code

Will get it figured out but what a bummer. I am hoping it is just the O2 sensors.

Wish me luck

Old 01-10-2016, 03:17 PM
JohnnysArt
All Star

Congrats on the truck. Thank you for posting link for the dash - mines cracked all over and need to replace it.

Good luck on the mods.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by JohnnysArt
Congrats on the truck. Thank you for posting link for the dash - mines cracked all over and need to replace it.

Good luck on the mods.
For sure man! I could not believe the price after poking around online. I was able to pick it up without freight but had to pay tax, so that probably equals out.

Good luck on it. I think there are a few videos out, I plan on doing one of the swap out. I am editing the tuneup vid now. I hope to have it done this week.

Ordered some black lights with smoked lenses.. the Halo/LED type. Pretty stoked, should be in on Tuesday. My current lights are super yellowed/hazy. This will be an outstanding improvement over what is on there (stock).

Last edited by Black02CrCb; 01-10-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:07 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Very cool thread. Keep at it!

Old 01-12-2016, 12:21 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Thanks Chet. I may have come in a bit too loud.. I am just excited about the truck.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Forgot to update the thread. Got this badboy in the mail yesterday

Old 01-13-2016, 12:27 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

So I need to figure out what the actual "tow package" was for the Ram 1500. I know there was the factory wiring, that is a known factor, but not sure about what all else was included.. hitch/receiver of course.. and I "think" a special shifter (automatic) that has a graphic for you to push the "OD" off when towing.. not sure on that, but other vehicles who have towing have that type of graphic so it makes sense. I already have a trans cooler on the truck, just the static cooler, nothing fancy.. and I know on tow vehicles they always have an auxiliary trans cooler...

My factory "tow package build"

Old 01-13-2016, 01:13 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Installing these Spyder Auto Black Halo/LED headlights with smoked lenses:

I am stoked as hell. You can read about the install here: Spyder Auto Halo/LED Light Install