3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Can I tow above the limit for very-very short distance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:35 PM
ptudozer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I tow above the limit for very-very short distance?

I have a 2002 - 1500 Quad
The spec sheet says I can tow 6650#
The truck has a 4.7 engine, automatic with 3.55 gear ratio

So here is my situation - I'm in the process of purchasing a boat that with trailer will weigh about 10000#
All I need to do is tow it from the storage bay to and from the boat ramp -- it's less than 500 feet each trip

I really like this truck and have had it since new, and really don't want to spend $$ on another truck just to move the boat within the marina
Because the boat has in/out drives I can't leave it in the saltwater, so it has to go on the trailer to get washed down.
I plan on doing this about 3 - 4 times a month during the summer. In Florida where I'm at, it's about 6 months for boat weather -- so I'm looking at doing this about 20+ times per year

Thank you

Old 03-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you plan on pulling that boat & trailer up the incline @ 3,350# over limit? Even 6,650# is quite a bit for that size engine. Either step up in truck, step down in boat, find someone with a properly sized vehicle, or buy a tractor and store it at the marina. Don't risk it in hopes of saving money let you end up like the guy @ 2:47:

Old 03-10-2018, 01:26 PM
ptudozer

Gary
Thanks for the answer and the great video..LOL

I figured that would be the answer, but a small part of me was wondering if maybe it could be done.
I like the Tractor idea, but I have no clue what type of tractor would be able to do the job, and then I have to see if the marina wouldn't mind me having "farm" equipment in my bay... LOL

So I think I;m going to go with some of your suggestions. I'm looking at purchasing a used diesel -- it's not a Dodge, but starts with an F -- that is rated to tow 11500#, and go with a bit smaller boat so that when the boat is fueled and loaded, along with the trailer will still give me about 1000# or so under the towing capacity.

SO, in regards to the tractor -- I like the idea, as long as the marina approves.
What size tractor would I need to do the job and would not break the bank?
I actually think that having such a piece of equipment at the marina, would be advantageous to other boaters with large boats, or in case someones truck breaks down.
If anyone has any suggestions or experience with tractors and could post something here.... I know, this is for Dodge trucks, so if I don't get any suggestions, I guess I have to find somewhere else to ask this question.

Thanks for helping

Old 03-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check with the marina first. If you're storing your boat there, do they have a service wherein they could put your boat in the water when needed and then store it when you're done? If so, explore that option and budget the costs. I bet that's cheaper and more efficient than buying a different vehicle and factoring depreciation along with maintenance costs.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:02 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, a 4.7 with 3.55 gearing is really isn't much of a truck. It is more like a big car with a box for running around town getting groceries feeling like you have a truck. Kinda like a modern day jacked el camino. Great for everything you need to do, except truck stuff.

That said, getting to your question about the boat and marina storage. YES, going 500' to-from the boat launch and the storage yard is perfectly fine wrt to the truck capabilities. However, for this I sure hope your truck is 4wd for ramp traction. Get into the marina yard. Put the truck in 4 Lo, do your thing happily. Enjoy the fishing!
If you ever considering taking out onto any roads above 20 mph? ... NO, absolutely not. Borrow / rent a bigger truck for those occasions.

On the tractor idea, .... an alternate may be to redirect that thought towards a super cheap old truck that is solid but barely road worthy and just leave it at the yard for shuffling the boat. It'll be much cheaper than the tractor or buying a diesel that you do not need 87% of the time. Any old 3/4 or 1 ton that is operable and has good brakes will fit the bill well. Don't bother insurance or registration on it, since you would be using it at the yard only. When you want to take the boat somewhere, just get a day permit for the jalopy ... another idea to consider.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 03-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Mud Marine
Amateur

Just remember if you're using 4wd on concrete, don't make Sharp turns, you can easily snap a CV axle like that. The traction and weight meet the torque of the gearing and something has to give. Either the tire will break traction (if you're lucky) otherwise you'll break a part.

Quick Reply: Can I tow above the limit for very-very short distance?