3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pulling a trailer from Toronto to Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 03:52 PM
TMWC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling a trailer from Toronto to Vancouver

Hey,

Im planning a move across Canada from Toronto to Vancouver this spring. Most of my things will be shipped with a moving company. I have two motorcycles though that I don't really trust the moving companies with and am thinking of renting a 6x12 cargo trailer from Uhaul and taking the bikes with me. Total weight of trailer and bikes would be approx. 2950lbs.
I have a 2008 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi. Trucks in good shape and well looked after with 176,000km on it. My question is, would this be a hard trip on my truck with that amount of weight? Also, would my fuel mileage go through the roof while pulling that amount of weight? Just wondering if I should just bite the bullet and ship my bikes if its going to put to much wear and tear on my truck for its age.

Thanks a lot !

Old 01-23-2020, 05:34 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by TMWC
Hey,

Im planning a move across Canada from Toronto to Vancouver this spring. Most of my things will be shipped with a moving company. I have two motorcycles though that I don't really trust the moving companies with and am thinking of renting a 6x12 cargo trailer from Uhaul and taking the bikes with me. Total weight of trailer and bikes would be approx. 2950lbs.
I have a 2008 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi. Trucks in good shape and well looked after with 176,000km on it. My question is, would this be a hard trip on my truck with that amount of weight? Also, would my fuel mileage go through the roof while pulling that amount of weight? Just wondering if I should just bite the bullet and ship my bikes if its going to put to much wear and tear on my truck for its age.

Thanks a lot !

Your fuel mileage will definitely tank. As for the strain, your truck should handle it fine. A coolant change and replacing the belt and hoses might be a good idea as well as an oil change. Just be sure to disengage overdrive in the hills and mountains. What amount of cargo do you plan to haul in the bed of the truck? That will make a difference. Just a suitcase, some tools and an extra gas can won't add much weight. Pile the bed high and that's a different tale all together.

The following users liked this post:
TimothyKing (01-27-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 06:13 PM
TMWC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Your fuel mileage will definitely tank. As for the strain, your truck should handle it fine. A coolant change and replacing the belt and hoses might be a good idea as well as an oil change. Just be sure to disengage overdrive in the hills and mountains. What amount of cargo do you plan to haul in the bed of the truck? That will make a difference. Just a suitcase, some tools and an extra gas can won't add much weight. Pile the bed high and that's a different tale all together.
Thanks for the tips! Truck won't be loaded with much. Just the two of us, our dog, suitcase and a few of our more valuable belongings. Definitely trying to keep things as light as possible. Ill be bringing the truck into my mechanic for a tune up before the trip

Old 01-23-2020, 08:37 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

i pulled a 6000 lbs 16 foot enclosed trailer from Ontario to Calgary with a 05 1500. the truck can handle it fine. I used a wd hitch. without the hitch the trailer swayed and the rear suspension squatted. mileage for me was 12mpg imperial.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:14 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
i pulled a 6000 lbs 16 foot enclosed trailer from Ontario to Calgary with a 05 1500. the truck can handle it fine. I used a wd hitch. without the hitch the trailer swayed and the rear suspension squatted. mileage for me was 12mpg imperial.

A 3000 pound load shouldn't need a WD hitch as long as the weight is 60/40 over the trailer axle. It won't hurt but is rather pricey for a one time use.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:55 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

300 tongue weight will be ok.
for me with 600lb tonque weight, the truck squatted. Any change in ride height will change the front total toe on independent front suspension. 3000km with incorrect toe would have wrecked $600 front tires. the wd hitch allowed me to put the ride height back to normal. I found a used wd hitch on kijiji for $200 and sold it for $200 when I arrived.

The following users liked this post:
TimothyKing (01-27-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:03 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It's rated to tow around 8800lbs or so. That load won't be an issue at all Just lock out 5th gear buy using tow/haul mode and it will tow great.

Quick Reply: Pulling a trailer from Toronto to Vancouver