3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 07:13 PM
Dooglehd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio upgrade

Stupid question, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to upgrade the radio in their 03-09 ram to the radio from a 2015 or newer ram? I do understand you would have to change out the dash and rewire everything and maybe mod the computer in the truck. Just wondering if anyone actually attempted.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:38 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

You can't even lump lump those altogether (you left out 2002) because in 2006 Ram transitioned from PCI bus to CAN bus; a major difference within a generational run. Since you went straight to 2015 and bypassed 09-14 you skipped ahead two generations of CAN bus. The 15 and later ones are designed to run stuff within the vehicle, like heated seats, HVAC, etc. You would literally need to transplant the entire contents of a later 4th gen Ram to make this happen correctly.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:54 PM
Dooglehd

I understand all of that like a said i was just wondering. And you make it seem insane to do something like that, when i watched a guy stuff a cummins 12valve into a newer model ford mustang lol.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dooglehd
I understand all of that like a said i was just wondering. And you make it seem insane to do something like that, when i watched a guy stuff a cummins 12valve into a newer model ford mustang lol.
That's all mechanical. I've seen a Cummins 5.9 put in an LX Charger; same guy then decided to put a Duramax in a newer Camaro and made it look like a factory install just for fun. Cummins in a fox body is 30+ year old technology lol. I'd rather do that in a heartbeat (even though that'd be a waste of a perfectly good Cummins putting it in a square turd) than what you asked about. Vehicles are extremely complicated rolling computer networks nowadays when it comes to the onboard electronics. Only way you'd be able to make it work within the vehicle's existing infrastructure is if you're an electrical engineer with a clue and you build a translator box. A guy about 10-15yrs ago with an early model Jeep Liberty (PCI bus) wanted to put the new MyGig (at the time) into his Jeep but the MyGig was introduced in 2008 with Mopar's 2nd gen CAN bus (1st gen being the 05-07 LX, 06-08 Ram, 04-08 Durango & 05-08 Grand Cherokee). He successfully built a translator module to do what he needed it to do. He was begged and offered all kinds of money to build more to sell. He refused and said while he was happy to have it working, had he known what a raging pain in the dick it was gonna be he wouldn't have done it in the first place lol.

The following users liked this post:
Dooglehd (09-26-2020)
Old 03-02-2021, 05:39 PM
Derekwh

Is there a particular reason that you'd want a newer style radio in your truck?

Old 03-03-2021, 12:07 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Derekwh
Is there a particular reason that you'd want a newer style radio in your truck?
He wants the big screen

Old 06-26-2021, 05:40 PM
Badass Ram

I upgraded to a 10" JVC top of the line headunit. $1200. Its sweet. jw-z1000w https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-10-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quick Reply: Radio upgrade