3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help I just did a complete gasket replacement tops bottoms oil seals an all

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 06:26 PM
Drewdude90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I just did a complete gasket replacement tops bottoms oil seals an all

Now I ran into a problem on the resemble of everything. Everything was pretty much standard when following the repair manual. But I noticed on my gasket replacement set the valve stem seals are not oem. Therefore they do not have any identifiable marks to determine which are intake and which are exhaust. Unfortunately, I did not notice this until I came to the reinstallation of the seals. Now the ones that came in my set . To me they seem identical in size and height . They are not color coded I can't tell The difference my question to this form is how if any weight is there to tell which are intake which are exhausted are should. I just bite the bullet Shell out for the cost of o e m seals? Now doing this whole.Overhaul has cost quite a bit already, so if there is anyway to tell would love to hear some feedback.

Last edited by Drewdude90; 06-22-2024 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Leftout feed in feedback
Old 06-22-2024, 06:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Those are some odd looking seals.... If they are all exactly the same, I would guess it didn't matter which you installed where. They do the same job, regardless of which valve they are on anyway.... keep too much oil from going down the stem.

Old 06-22-2024, 09:49 PM
Drewdude90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Those are some odd looking seals.... If they are all exactly the same, I would guess it didn't matter which you installed where. They do the same job, regardless of which valve they are on anyway.... keep too much oil from going down the stem.
Thank you the feedback and insight o appreciate the response. I found it reassuring, I wasn't sure if they made universal seal. After reading in the repair manual "make sure you do not place the exhaust seals on the intake valves" and noticing the new ones I had didn't have a way to be sure which went were. I had to reach out.

Old 06-23-2024, 08:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

That IS interesting.... I might be tempted to just spring for another set of just the valve seals.......

Old 06-25-2024, 12:59 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 378 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Those are some odd looking seals....
Eh.... they look pretty similar to the ones I used in the 4.7L some years back.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-25-2024 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Help I just did a complete gasket replacement tops bottoms oil seals an all