3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

We've brought home another one...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 02:18 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default We've brought home another one...

Well I managed to drag home another project.

Picked up an 06 megacab 1500, looks like it probably needs an engine. Listing advertised it as has "hemi tick" mechanic diagnosed as lifter issue. Truck is pretty rust free except the fender for some reason. Very strange situation, but fenders are easy to swap.

I feel we're far beyond simple repairs for the engine. Seems like a misfire, no fault codes surprisingly. Need to check for stored codes yet. Also has a squeak, could be fan/accessory squeak but I'm not sure. Oil is slightly overfull, coolant is full/clean. Starts dropping out oil pressure after running for 5-10 minutes. More diag to come but I'm planning for an engine swap or full rebuild.

I'm researching a 6.4 swap but curious how much from the 5.7 can be used. I've read some swap articles but they're all on 4th gen trucks and im not sure the wiring will match up as easily on the 3rd gen 5.7.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

Well had a minute today and hooked up the scanner, had p0300 random missfire and P0308 cylinder 8 misfire. So I guess we'll start with a compression test when we get to it.

Old Today, 09:45 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

Those generation engines generally didn't have lifter issues; not saying it definitely isn't but it isn't as likely as say a 2009+. Can you swap a VVT engine into your truck? Because you have a 2006 it is possible, but not plug and play. A factory 6.4 and your current 5.7 have absolutely NOTHING in common. To use the OEM 6.4 you'd need to rearrange your accessory drive as the two are different; this is non-negotiable. You'll need to figure out what PCM you can use; you might be able to get away with finding a 2009 2500 PCM, this was a one year hybrid setup with a 3rd gen body and 4th gen engine. Then you could just get it tuned for the larger engine. An early 4th gen PCM (like an 09-10) may work; I would contact Hotwireauto.com for specifics as these kind of swaps are their bred & butter. Regardless, some wiring harness alterations will likely be required. You will also need to figure out what trans you are going to use that isn't your stock 545RFE; it wouldn't be particularly happy behind a stock truck 6.4 (410hp/429tq) and even less so behind a factory SRT/Scat 6.4 (470-485hp/470-475tq).

Old Today, 06:23 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Those generation engines generally didn't have lifter issues; not saying it definitely isn't but it isn't as likely as say a 2009+. Can you swap a VVT engine into your truck? Because you have a 2006 it is possible, but not plug and play. A factory 6.4 and your current 5.7 have absolutely NOTHING in common. To use the OEM 6.4 you'd need to rearrange your accessory drive as the two are different; this is non-negotiable. You'll need to figure out what PCM you can use; you might be able to get away with finding a 2009 2500 PCM, this was a one year hybrid setup with a 3rd gen body and 4th gen engine. Then you could just get it tuned for the larger engine. An early 4th gen PCM (like an 09-10) may work; I would contact Hotwireauto.com for specifics as these kind of swaps are their bred & butter. Regardless, some wiring harness alterations will likely be required. You will also need to figure out what trans you are going to use that isn't your stock 545RFE; it wouldn't be particularly happy behind a stock truck 6.4 (410hp/429tq) and even less so behind a factory SRT/Scat 6.4 (470-485hp/470-475tq).
Yea the research I have done, doesn't seem as plug n play as I thought originally it could be. Also picking up a 6.4 under 6g looks limited in my area within reasonable driving distance. Though some come with the trans so that would be an option but I'm not looking to open that can of worms either.

Much appreciate the input, I still need to break my teeth on a hemi. Never had one open so I'm excited either way.

At this point I think the 6.4 is a pipe dream maybe someday, but a 5.7 can be built well too for the same kind of money investment , less headache and time invested. In the end its a driver, not a tow pig. It'll replace my 4.7 1500 and in 6 months I'll pickup another lost puppy and start over again. Though I have really missed my mega 1500 I used to have, so this may stick around. I've been playing around on FRP's website. 2-3g for a nice cam upgrade functional with stock heads and torque converter.

As for what I have and I am dealing with immediately. I'd like to decide quick/soon if I should just drop n swap another long block hemi, used. They seem to be had with low miles for 2-2500. Not sure if that's fair, I'm not in the market, but reman can be had for 3-3500 so its a close game.

I ran a compression test today, with unexpected results. The cylinder variance take lightly, the plugs were very stiff in the threads and I had the same with my compression tester so a prefect seal might not always have been reached, the fact they all could surpass almost 160psi I was surprised to find, just based on how it runs/sounds. I think bent valve/dropped seat/scored pistons all can be ruled out. As you can see below #8 seems pretty healthy, so a misfire is not result of compression I don't feel. Now a failing lifter, would still provide decent compression I would expect, until it reached a point it no longer opened the valve at all, but it may limit intake/exhaust flow for decent combustion?

Looking at images and videos it appears one pretty much has to tear these down to block to get a good view of the cam/lifter areas. A quick oil sample provided lots metal particles so its safe to same something happened that should not have. Use that information as my nail in the coffin for buying a new/different motor.

Quick Reply: We've brought home another one...