3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Snap Crackle Pop

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:58 PM
sharpshooter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snap Crackle Pop

I was pulling out of my drive way today and noticed this noise coming from my drivers side front wheel. I can hear it sometimes going around a curve with the window down. Itsounds like a cracklin noise or something almost like a bearing with out grease, no vibrations or anything. If I would have left my radion on I would not have noticed. anybody got anyideas before I get to make that dreaded trip to the dealer

Old 04-02-2007, 08:27 PM
M14
Rookie
Default RE: Snap Crackle Pop

Assuming you have independwnt suspension, I would say a CV joint. What is the condition of the rubber boot adjacent to the inside of the wheel - an cracks or holes?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt there a recall on some trucks for bad front wheel bearings and hubs?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just answered my own question;

WASHINGTON (AP) -- DaimlerChrysler is recalling more than 86,000 Dodge Ram 1500 pickups to resolve front-end vibration that could lead to the failure of the front wheel bearing.
The automaker will replace the front wheel hub and bearing units in the 2006 pickups.
A DaimlerChrysler spokesman says the company had received a "couple hundred" warranty claims, which led it to review the bearings. There have been no injuries linked to the issue.
Chrysler says owners who experience front-end vibration or bearing noise to take their vehicles to a dealer for inspection. The work will be completed at no cost to owners.
The Auburn Hills-based manufacturer recalled about 145,000 of the pickups in September because of passenger air bag issues.
Posted by PJS
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
[/align]

Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 PM
tailgatedrinkin
Professional

yeah take it to the dealership ASAP, i just got my front wheel bearings replaced because of the recall

Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 AM
sharpshooter
Veteran

Is the recall for 07's, its a 2wd by the way with 1900 miles on it

Old 04-16-2007, 07:30 PM
sharpshooter
Veteran

Well, I finally broke down and went to the dealer today. Apparently the 2wd have the same front hubs as a 4wd. My problem was that with this being the case there is a hole in the middle of the hub for the axles to come thru and there was some debri that got in between my center cap and my wheel causing this noise.. The guy at the dealership told me that it was another way for dodge to save money by being able to use the same parts on two different models, but my gripe is why is the whole left open, ford and chevy makes a plug that fixes this issue.any ways the noise is fixed and it turned out to be no big deal....

Quick Reply: Snap Crackle Pop