3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rail dust or Brake dust??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
WhiteRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rail dust or Brake dust??

I started a topic on DTW about little rust spots all over my truck, '05 1500 4x4 S, 4.7 auto. Getting all kinds of responses.

Here's a link to the post...
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....5_qc_questions

Here's the last message I tossed up....

O.K., for starters, washed the truck yesterday, haven't moved it since. ****'s back tonight! So, if it is from my bakes, someone's driving the sum bitch while I'm sleeping! I know for a fact that it's NOT industrial Fallout because the other cars in the driveway are spotless. When I bought my truck there was another JUST LIKE IT, and a 2500, both white. See both of them floatin' around almost on a daily basis. Neither one of them has any spots! Now, just talked to a guy driving a Chevy who owned a DODGE with the same spot problem. That's the reason he's driving a Chevy! He bitched a fit, until a dealer/bodyshop manager admitted that it IS rail dust. According to him, the first/last cars/trucks on a train during shipment get the fallout for the train brakes! The train braking throws up miniscule red hot dust particles which embed into the paint. You wash & wax, they disappear, but as mine did, they're back within a short period of time due to the fact that they're stuck in your paint! The correct fix is to toss a fit, and the vehicle need to be re-painted!?[/align][/align]Anyone here ever have this problem and have it resolved?[/align]

Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Erock509
Veteran
Default RE: Rail dust or Brake dust??

I'm not sure exactly sure what it is, but I've got those spots all over my tailgate and very little spread throughout the truck. I was told to use a claybar to remove them, I just havent tried it yet. Its not really noticable unless you are really close, not a big deal but it should not be that way.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:05 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you rub your hand over it and it feels grity, almost like sandpaper, then more then likely it is rail dust and the dealer should have noticed it when they did the PDI on it...sometimes buffing it will get rid of it, other times the whole vehicle has to be repainted (this occured at the dealership i worked at)

Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 PM
WhiteRam
Professional

Well I can't be 100% postive what it is, but this kinda **** is what's making people go to TUNDRAS and TITANS!! I emailed DODGE, gonna bug the crap out of them till I get some answers. Up until about 24 hours ago I'd have bought another RAM in a heartbeat!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:07 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's rail dust then going to another brand aint gonna fix anything

Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Ram fourpoint7

Sounds like rail dust. Mine was covered with it on the roof, hood, fenders and bed rails. I didn't trust the dealer to fix it so I spent about 1/2 day with a clay bar. Now the paint is nice and smooooth.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:05 PM
dlay

Idon't believe it's "raildust". There is no such thing.Raildust is just something that the dealership tells you so they dont have to accept liability and to get you to shut up.I work for a railroad and have been on a lot of auto-trains. Here a few facts to throw at the dealership:

1.The rail cars(called auto-racks) are enclosed and are loaded and unloaded on the ends. However, there are slits in the sides for ventilation.

2.The brake rigging mounted about 2 feet in, underneath the carbody, inside the wheel truck (I'm still trying to figue out how superheated paticles from the brakes are thrown outwards at least 2 feet past the wheel truck then up at least 4 feet and then into the car with enough velocity to imbed themselves into the paint).

3.The brakepads on a train are a NON-METALIC composite material, inculding those on auto-racks.

4.The vehicles that are shipped by rail also have thin sheets of plastic skin on the major body panelsto protect them during shipment. (Kinda like a screen protector on a pda)

5.Isn't the dealership supposed to inspect for these types of things before taking delivery or selling to a customer????

I think its just bad prepwork before the factory paint is applied

Old 04-15-2007, 12:22 AM
UpBranchLiner

I agree with DLAY. As a locomotive engineer I think rail dust is a B.S.

Quick Reply: Rail dust or Brake dust??