3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New computer??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:04 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New computer??

I have an '04 Ram2500 Hemi w/ only 15k miles on it. Twice it has set off the left side O2 sensor. This time the dealer said the computer is not sending a strong enough signal and the computer should be replaced (under warranty). The truck runs fine, just has the idiot light on (now off though).

My concern is I had the computer go out in my '99 Durango and it has run like crap ever since...about 70% of the power it had before.

I'm afraid they'll screw up the truck too.

Thoughts?

Old 04-07-2007, 07:32 PM
canram
Rookie
Default RE: New computer??

What error code are you getting? Usually it's the other way around and the sensor is the one with a weak signal to the computer. If I were you, I would get their commitment to a warranty replacement on paper, drive across town to another dealeship and see what they say. I think you will find that the second dealership will try to replace the O2 sensor before the computer.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:54 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

Thanks Canram

Old 04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When they change the pcm they have to calibrate it to your vehicle. If they don't do that, it'll run bad.

Some of the turbo smt6 guys tried swapping pcms and found out the hard way.

Quick Reply: New computer??