3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Passenger Side CV Axle Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
jem3650
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Side CV Axle Trouble

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with 35" tires. I have also cranked my torsion bars some to allow me to fit the 35" tires. I recently had some trouble with the passenger side CV axle. Where the CV connects to the differential shaft it is wearing itself out. This is the second time this has happened in a year and a half. I do not see the tires as being the problem being the shafts spin freely when not in 4 wheel drive. As for the torsions, I talked to a guy from Readylift and he said he doesnt see them being the problem either as their torsion keys do the same thing and they have never had a problem. I was wondering if this is a common problem and if anyone has had this happen. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
jem3650
Rookie
Default RE: Passenger Side CV Axle Trouble

bump

Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM
MiniCwik

I'll bump this, cuz I too am having a problem on the passenger side and have my t-bars slightly cranked, not even that much but have tons of play in my pass. side halfshaft and am taking it in today to get it looked at. Causes vibrations at highway speeds.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 PM
kregier
Veteran

I'm just wondering how long ago the both of you did the torsion bar crank? I very recently did mine so I want to keep an eye out to see if I'll end up with the same problem. Although I guess anyone who levels their ram will eventually have a problem if it's the c/v that can't handle the angle.

The driver side c/v is leaking on my '03, has been for well over a year. Dodge is going to take a look next week as I'm almost out of warranty on it. I wonder if a guy could find any heavier duty c/v's?

Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 PM
MiniCwik

Well mine aren't really "cranked" my truck was not sitting evenly from side to side so I just corrected that. Lifted the front side maybe 3/4".

I believe this problem is an engineering problem as the halfshaft splines near the front diff are not sealed properly and allow moisture to penetrate causing ths splines on both to get rusted very easily, which likely also led to a possible CV failure I think I have on at least one side.

I believe there are aftermarket one's out there, cost about half as much as dealer prices and can be installed yourself or any local axle shop.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

ORIGINAL: MiniCwik

Well mine aren't really "cranked" my truck was not sitting evenly from side to side so I just corrected that. Lifted the front side maybe 3/4".

I believe this problem is an engineering problem as the halfshaft splines near the front diff are not sealed properly and allow moisture to penetrate causing ths splines on both to get rusted very easily, which likely also led to a possible CV failure I think I have on at least one side.

I believe there are aftermarket one's out there, cost about half as much as dealer prices and can be installed yourself or any local axle shop.
I think your right about the engineering problem. The rust corrodes the splines allowing play which eventually kills the CV. The solution on your end is to pop them out every so often and pack some grease in.

As far as aftermarket shafts...there are "rebuilt" shafts that have been coated to prevent rust but that wont help you where the splines mate as any coating will come off. I have destroyed a few cv's and always buy rebuilt for replacements.
If you have stumbled onto any "new improved aftermarket" shafts i would like to know about it as i don't think they exist.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 AM
MiniCwik

Okay ... heard from dealer last night and sure as shoot, they verified that my half shaft was bad, as well as the inner shaft. By that I assume they mean the spline coming out of the diff?

Anyway, they were going to be replacing them both this morning and would have it for me to pick up today, all under warranty so I'm glad I got it in there before that expired.

They also mentioned my drive belt was shredded in half, so I called my local auto parts store and had one set aside for me to pickup this afternoon to install tonight :-)

Can't wait to pick her up and see how the ride has improved, I mean it has to some because I swear I could move that half shaft 6 inches in either direction effortlessly.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Passenger Side CV Axle Trouble