3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 with tons of problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:33 AM
USAF_Dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 with tons of problems

I recently bought an 03 Dodge Ram 1500. When I received the truck I had to put 3 quarts of transmission fluid into it becuase it sounded like an old lady that didn't know how to drive a stick and its an automatic! Now, whenever I come to a rolling stop at a red light or anywhere for that matter it acts like wants to stall. There is a clicking (like avalve tapping)from either the engine or the tranny, the check engine light is on, the brakes are squeaky at low speeds, and shocks sound like a bed during you know what. Its a gorgoes truck and I know this stuff isn't really big problems (other then the clicking) I just don't know where to start. Any input??

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 03 with tons of problems

how many miles are on it? what engine? 2 or 4 wheel drive? is the clicking noise heard while braking to a stop, idle, accel, etc...

Old 04-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Hi USAF_Dad,

Is thetruck inGermanyor is it back in the States?

If it's back here in the States I would start with a trip to Autozone and have them hook up their hand held diagnostics computer to it. Its free and can give some insight on where to start. If they have one for your vehicle.

If the truck is in Germany, take it to the Auto-hobbie shop (ifthe base has one)and see if they have a similar diagnostics computer.

Also like Hemiyellow said we need as much info as you can give us and does the truck have any aftermarket mods, like Cold Air Intake (CAI) and or exhaust.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran

My 02" had squeaky brakes. Buy some CRC synthetic brake and caliper grease or any high temp brake grease. Put some on the clips that the pads rest on. Be careful not to get any on the pads themselves (obviously). Stopped my squeaking immediately. My truck has the ticking also. It doesn't do it all the time but I can't locate where it's coming from. I can here it from inside the truck but can't hear it very well or at all once I lift the hood. Mine has to be coming from the engine. Even in park, if I rev the engine, the ticking gets faster, I can only hear it at idle too. If this sounds like what you are experiencing let me know what you find out. My ticking comes and goes. I'll be sitting at a stop light and all of a sudden it just starts. Sometimes it's louder and sometimes it's softer.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:13 AM
USAF_Dad

Okay lets see ... it is in Germany and I have brought it to the Auto Hobby and they could do anything becuase they didn't have the right equipment. Its an 03 automatic 4.7, it just turned 54,000 miles,and it is two wheel drive. The squealing is at low speeds moving through a parking lot or going around one of the famous german round abouts.. The ticking is when I first start the truck. As soon as the truck is warm the ticking seems to go away. I am being told that it is a cold start knock but it seems to be getting louder. I am just paranoid because I don't like any out of the ordinary noises coming from my vehicles. Its the same as tinyfxdswhen I step on the gas it gets faster. But like I said as soon as it warms up it goes away. It doesn't have a CIA but it does have a Magna Flow Single to Dual exhaust. Stock headers. Hopefully this post is alittle more detailed. Thanks for the replies!!

Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Hi USAF_Dad,

As for the brake squeak, try taking off the wheels and check/clean them, use a brake cleaner. They might need to be R&Rd.

However from what you are describing now itmight bebearings, unless you are breaking as you go thru the round abouts. Check to see if there are grease fittings and give her a good lube.

If the ticking is from the engine...How long since the last oil change and what oil was used? (5W30?, synthetic?) If oil is good and not synthetic try addingsome Lucas oil addative that stuff stays on parts longer and is good for cold starts.

If the ticking is from the tranny, I have no idea what to tell you.

These are the least expinsive DIY ways and other people might have better/more ideas than I.

Oh and thanks for serving

Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 PM
silver1500hemi

didn't you test drive it before you bought the thing. Maybe just an abused to hell truck!!

Quick Reply: 03 with tons of problems