3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Volant Cold Air Intake vs other CAI's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:28 AM
ThaChad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volant Cold Air Intake vs other CAI's?

Hey all,

I was looking into CAI's for my 2006 Ram MegaCab, and I was pretty much set on the K&N with the plastic tube because K&N is a name I trust, and the plastic tube was suppose to be better than the metal.

But Then I stumbled across the Volant CAI, that replaces your AIR BOX, and it just seamed like soo much better of a system, The CAI's I've seen either suck air in from the Engine bay, which isn't really 'cold', or the filter itself goes down into the fender, and clogs up with dirt constantly.

So the Volant looked like the best solution.But I personally have never heard of them before.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Good/Bad?

Any input is helpfull.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Old 04-23-2007, 02:48 AM
da92gs87
Professional
Default RE: Volant Cold Air Intake vs other CAI's?

I have heard nothing but bad news on the Volant system.
I use a K&N 77series and i like it.
Check out the Mopar intake, i heard that is the best, if not close to it.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:29 AM
RamSport2500

I have a Volant CAI in my 06 Ram Sport 2500. I love it. Nice sound, you can notice the power increase on the low end. I also have a Gibson Performance swept side exhaust. Nice combo.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 PM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: RamSport2500

I have a Volant CAI in my 06 Ram Sport 2500. I love it. Nice sound, you can notice the power increase on the low end. I also have a Gibson Performance swept side exhaust. Nice combo.
Hi RamSport,

You don't happen to have a sound clip of your truck do you? I am thinking of getting the gibson system, but Would like to hear it first.

Thanks.

-TheChad

Old 04-23-2007, 12:48 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThaChad

Hi RamSport,

You don't happen to have a sound clip of your truck do you? I am thinking of getting the gibson system, but Would like to hear it first.

Thanks.

-TheChad
Are you looking for loud or a little more mellow and deep?

Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 PM
zman2800

I just put the K&N 63 series on my 07 hemi and I am quite pleased with it. With normal driving it sounds stock, when wide open the dash starts to rattle. K&N says "intakes use only non-metallic rotationally molded tubes that can reduce intake air temperature and decrease intake sound over a metal tube" I could notimagine the 77 being louder than the 63, I would have thought that plastic would be less muffling then metallic. I dolove how loud she gets when reaching wide open shift points. Also,my mpg did not go up yet due to the fact she just sounds sooo good when giving it just a little more gas.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 AM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

ORIGINAL: ThaChad

Hi RamSport,

Thanks.

-TheChad
Are you looking for loud or a little more mellow and deep?
Both? We do take the truck on long trips with our boat, and I don't want a super loud drone in the cab, but I want aggressive sound.

-ThaChad

Old 04-24-2007, 11:43 AM
RamSport2500

Check out the Gibson Performance website. Click on the "exhaust systems" box and you'll see the *** end of my truck, it's grey in color. Also check the sound clips on the Dodge Ram swept side exhaust on their website. Gibson used my truck for the prototype for their 06 Ram 2500 Hemi exhaust systems. Got a free exhaust system from it. They used my truck for the picture and the sound bytes on the website. Hope that helps. It sounds great, nice rumble but not too loud.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I worked in a shop that sold and installed all different brands of CAI on different makes and models. When talking to their own factory reps (no names, these guys gotta work too) they basically said that they are all the same, and most importantly, they are notmuch improvement over the Hemi stock setup. The stock setup is already sucking as much air as that engine can take, the only real benny to the CAI is the sound and the looks. Honestly, the Ebay $50 ones with a decent AEM filter would be the best combo if you really want one and then use the money you save tobuy an AirRam air scoop and a power-wire to really help. You want a real CAI? Check out Vararam's intake. Scoops in the bumper opening that feeds straight up to the TB, plus it is slick looking. Another nice one is Dub-air's. High quality stainless and silicone connectors, no rubber to dry-rot. Just my two, well actually four, cents.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:01 PM
0BlackRam2

I have one and it looks and sounds great. Others seem very loud in the cab. The volant sounds throaty but not excessive. Plus cold air makes power. Other systems suck alot of engine bay heat.

Quick Reply: Volant Cold Air Intake vs other CAI's?