3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Power Wagon clearance

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM
REDBARON
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Power Wagon clearance

Hey Everybody,

What are the differences in ground clearance between the Power Wagon and the rest of the Dodge Ram 4X4 line?[>:] I know that the spring rates are different, but are the springs actually higher? From what I've been able to discern, It seems like the Power Wagon is a pair of thirty-three inch tires plus somevery slightly taller front springs, basically a leveling kit with big tires. Barring the ramp-breakover and approach angle, if I leveled the front of my Mega Cab CTD 4X4 and put on some thirty-three inch BFG A/T's would I essentially have the same ground clearances as a Power Wagon?

Just want to have as much ground clearance as I can without exceeding factory specs and thereby voiding the warranty. [:@]

Thanks,

John

P.S. Maybe someone lucky enough to actually own a Power Wagon would be so kind as to actually go out and physically measure; A. The heighth from the edge of the tailgate when open to the ground. B. The distance from the top of the wheel arch of a front and rear wheel respectively to; A. the hub and B. the ground. C. The top center of the front bumper to the ground. Thiswould be very cool.

2006 Dodge Mega 4X4, 5.9 Auto--Without Equal. [sm=usa.gif]

Old 04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Yellowsally
Rookie
Default RE: Dodge Power Wagon clearance

ok here you go this is an 05 power wagon with stock 33" tires tailgate to ground -38", Front wheel arc to center of hub- 27", Front wheel arc to ground 41.5", Rear wheel arc to center of hub/axle 27", rear wheel arc to ground 42", top center of front bumber to ground 33" I'm not sure if these will help you. I am not sure if the power wagon fender flares take up some of the distance between wheel and wheel arc/flair. Hope this helps. Scott

Old 04-25-2007, 03:27 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

well, if you do make it look like a power wagon, get the "Power Wagon" badging on there! now that would be badass!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Yellowsally
Rookie

Yeah if you like posing--- Like the Village People

Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ya definately DO NOT badge it as a PW...i have a firehawk and i hate when i see ppl with a crappy aftermarket hood or a "take off" firehawk hood and decide to badge it as one. shoot, i hate when i see ppl driving a z28 with an ss hood and put the ss badges on there. im not an idiot, i see your z28 spoiler

Old 04-25-2007, 05:16 PM
bltp203
Rookie

Why would exceeding the specs void the warranty? If all you put in are leveling spacers or higher springs, they have to show that it was those mods that caused the warranty issue. With a 2" lift and 35" tires, my specs are exactly 2 inches higher then the power wagon. I guess if I dropped to a 33 inch tire, I would be right there.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM
bltp203
Rookie

Here is some more details about after market mods and warranties.

Gale Banks has addressed this below:

FANNING FEARS
You want to upgrade your vehicle with after-market equipment, but you're worried about putting the vehicle's warranty at risk. It's no wonder. How many times have you heard someone at a dealership say that installing after-market equipment automatically voids the warranty? This common misconception has been repeated often enough to be widely believed - even though it is completely false.
[blockquote]Wrap-up: Dealers don't like warranty work, which pays less than normal repairs. By promoting the myth that after-market equipment automatically voids warranties, some dealers manage to avoid such low-paying work and charge the prime rate for service which is rightfully under warranty. [/blockquote]

THE TRUTH
Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, after-market equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that after-market equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well, which provide further protections for vehicle owners.

In other words, a dealer can't wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install after-market equipment. To find out if any after-market equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, check the owner's manual, usually under a heading such as "What Is Not Covered." Although the language may be negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the after-market products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 AM
REDBARON

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for all your input. YellowSally, IREALLY appreciate you going out on a limb for me and getting those measurements. Not many people would have done that. Thank you very much! Bltp 203, thanks for all the info on the warranty claims laws. I'll try and stuff that away in the mental filing cabinet for future use.

And though I must admit the name has a nice ring to it HighDuke, I won't be re-badging my Mega a PW. A badge doesn't make a Mega a Power Wagon the same way a badge can't make a stock 67' Mustand a Shelby Mustang-- it is or it isn't. I'm proud of my Mega 'cause it's a MEGA and wouldn't have it anyother way--end of story. Anything else is BS.

Again thanks for all your input,
It is appreciated,

John

Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM
The_Bishop
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, being as I own an '06 Power Wagon...

The differences are:

It's lifted approximately 2.5" taller. (Taller, softer springs for flex)
Stock 33" tires (With plenty of room for 35", that I already upgraded to).
4.56 Gears.
Switchable lockers.
Disconnecting swaybar.
Warn 12000lb winch.
Black wheel flares.
Alcoa forged wheels with bead retention for running aired-down.
A ton of skid-plate protection for the undercarriage.
Tow Hooks.
HD Alternator and battery.

It's pretty different, compared to a standard Ram. I sold my take-off 33" tires to my friend who has an '06 CTD Megacab 4x4. The 33" tires fit, there's no way 35" would.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:47 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

This is right from my 2005 Dodge Ram Power Wagon literature from Chrysler.

Suspension: the front coil springs and rear leaf springs are tuned to provide good ride quality

Ride height: significantly increased - approximately 1.8" in the front and 1.4" in the rear to create additional room and allow a greater range of articulation

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Dodge Power Wagon clearance