3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Recon Mini Led Light bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 PM
SA9553
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recon Mini Led Light bar

Hi, Brought my first Dodge Ram a couple of weeks ago. Been a long time coming. Its an 06 1500 quad, with a Hemi. And it has the tow package.

Got me one of those Mini Led Light bars. I'm looking to mount it on the tailgate. Since it doesn't fit between the tailgate and bumper like they said it would. Believe it or not the thing didnt come with instructions. Looking for some ideas on mounting and wiring the thing. I know my way around the garage and can do electrical.

Like I said looking for some ideas. Thanks and a great website!!!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 AM
somebodyinok
Professional
Default RE: Recon Mini Led Light bar

Somebody was saying that you could mount it on the front of your bed, by the window I guess. I think that would look pretty cool....just me though

Old 04-27-2007, 01:12 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Was it a brand name one? I want one but not if its not going to fit there. For mounting i've seen a couple mounted just under the rear window like stated above that looks pretty good

Old 04-27-2007, 02:30 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i was gonna mount my under the tailgate and above the bumper. took the tail gate off and it fits right underneath it. only problem was that the trailer connector did not fit the recon connector. you have to go buy a seperate connector. so as soon as i get around to that i'll put it on

Old 04-27-2007, 12:33 PM
HerpHandler

Look behind the bumper, they usually put one of those flat connectors back there. Or at least thats what they did on my '06

Old 04-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Ricker
Professional

I did just this. I took the tailgate off and mounted the light bar on the bottom inside lip of the tailgate. Only problem is, the black tape pads that the bar is screwed on to do not exactly fit on the lip. I shaved the black plastic down enough where they would fit. Make sure to clean the area you are applying them to and wait a good 15 minutes to let the pads fully bond before you put on the light bar. As far as the wiring, I'm pretty sure most Ram'scome with the 4 prong trailer connecter tied to the frame just under the rear bumper. Look for that first before you buy another adapter. I have the Fire and Ice with the reverse lights as well. I hard wired this to the reverse wire in my left taillight. It hooks up to the purple with black wire. Hopes this helps!

Old 04-27-2007, 08:35 PM
SA9553

Thanks for some ideas guys. Its made by a company named Recon. They do Lighting and accessories for trucks and SUVs. They have a website.I bought a Cab mount third brake light from them. Very cool looking. And very easy to install.

The light bar I got from them is the 15" one. It doesn't use tape to mount.It hasTwo holes that look like you would use self-tapping or sheet metal screws to mount. There is no wire connection at all. So you have to hard wire the thing. I'm connecting to a trailer plug adapter I bought and pluging it into the trailer plug under the bumper, like Ricker said. Only thing is that the wiring is on the back said of the light, so I will have to drill a hole to allow the wires to pass through. Not too happy about that or the fact that I have to use self-tappers to mount the thing..

Quick Reply: Recon Mini Led Light bar