3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, nothing but problems
11.63%
1 problem but was easily fixed (Post problem)
6.98%
None at all with any dodge vehicle
69.77%
I think a problem might be coming up
11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:15 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problems with transmission?

Well, i can see the tranny burning out if you put strain on it, I want to lift mine and take it 4x4ing. That is the main reason of this topic. Sometimes it is lemon which causes this but it usally happens right away, But with stick you can do whatever, and it will go, at most you replace the clutch.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:39 AM
nuttyprofessor
Rookie

Ben D.-----

Well I can tell you this......when I say my tranny feels like it isn't shifting right...it isn't shifting right. I bought my truck brand new and have yet to spin the tires on it. Not everyone beats the snot outta their truck.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Problems do happen, usally it's due to poor maintenance, gaskets, seals whatever goes, causing the pressure to go berserk in the tranny

Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i idnt beat on my truck eiether. i was very easy on it.9 i like to keep the gas mileage up tehere so i try not to fllor it much)with the new tranny i went to pick it up and i didnt make it a mile down teh street before it started to up/down shift uncontrolably. it truned out to just be teh speed control sensor that tells the tranny when to shift up or down. ( they had to replace the tranny before becuase the sensor was no good from the time i bought it until it finally did its damage) so just have teh dealer check it for you next time you go in. And its true not everybody beats on there trucks, just not every car can be perfect whenyou mass produce them with robots. the rams are known for teh tranny problems anyways thats what the dealership told me,mine wasnt the only one replaced on the 06 they have had a few come back for it.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Try flushing the transmission with mopar ATF +4, some time when a shop replace a trans they will use the fluid they sell. And have a dealer ck for any up dates. Most of all car and trucks have up dates for engine and shift problems.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Laker

I have a 07 QC and nothing but problems with tranny going in and out of partial lockup, this is according to my dodge dealer. Had it back 3 times already and no fix, a different reason each time for the same problem. The service mang said that he hopes dodge is working on a software update. So in the meantime I drive in tow/haul mode. Nice job Dodge! My 3rd Ram and will be my last if they don't fix problem before warranty expires.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Laker

I have a 07 QC and nothing but problems with tranny going in and out of partial lockup, this is according to my dodge dealer. Had it back 3 times already and no fix, a different reason each time for the same problem. The service mang said that he hopes dodge is working on a software update. So in the meantime I drive in tow/haul mode. Nice job Dodge! My 3rd Ram and will be my last if they don't fix problem before warranty expires.
Find another dealer to take it to, he's giving you a crock. I know three guys with '07 QC Hemi's, two 4x2's and one 4x4. None of the three have any tranny issues. If it was a software problem, it would be very widespread, this just sounds like they have no clue and are fishing for reasons, I mean, c'mon three different causes for the same problem!
BTW - Two Dodge 1500 4x4's. A '98 SC 360 traded w/68k miles and current '04 QC Hemi w/ 37k miles. That's 105,000 miles w/o any tranny issues. As a matter of fact only one repair needed between them both, a bad seal they spotted on my Hemi during a freebie oil change.
I'm not saying Dodge Trannys are bullet proof, no doubt it IS the trucks achilles heel, but I believe the reputation is a lot worse than reality.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:26 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knock on wood. I haven't had any problems, but then again i have a automatic, don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Quick Reply: Problems with transmission?