3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hydro-Lock Woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:55 AM
BULLDOG
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hydro-Lock Woes

Well I'm glade that you see that I'm not being combative, here to help. If nothing else just to irritate..LOL.

So lets just deal with you , and you particular incident with Mopar.

So for the love of GOD...there are other techs, and mechanics here.. Speak UP.
This is a terrible game, I'm waiting for a service writer to respond before I speak the truth.
Very correct on dealers..but lets just talk about Mopar there are 2 period. 5 star and not 5 star.

I have been around this all my adult life, for now my my opinion is to:....refuse payment...and demand arbitration. That alone will settle quite a few things, but only if innocent. I write this because others are reading it. Nothing against you, but dealers are quite familiar with deadbeats.
I don't want to read between the lines, but a week for a sensor? You have to be kidding!! Please do tell what "super sensor" was this?? I want to hear about a MAP sensor blowing through the hood due to a 120psi turbo!!! That is what I need!
Lets just see for now, I'm truly inviting anyone tech, heavy-line and epically service writer to bite. SPEAK UP!

Again, please do not , NOT..NOT pay for this. This is the dealer sucking you in. This is a very typical game....

Those whom are reading prove me wrong!

Dusty, I don't know you, but I'm in no way leading you in a bad direction. I'm fed up too.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:20 PM
PMopar

I'm confused. I've heard about hydro-lock probs. before and with a friend of my far more mechanically inclined, we looked at my truck. I, of course, didn't want to suffer the same fate when offroading. My intake opening is why up at the top of the inside passenger-side fender about as high up as the top of the radiator. You can clearly see the opening right there, not down low where it would suck in water. I have a 2004 QC 1500 SLT 4X4 purchased very late in the model year - September, in fact, right before the 2005s came out. I don't know offhand exactly when it was manufactured.

So, what gives, am I missing something, or did Dodge change this late in the model year?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Post!!
Gotta go>>>>>>make sure of the situation on my truck. How could an engineer with any common sense build something like that, then DC not stand behind their own stupidity

Old 08-05-2005, 12:53 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

My stock air box sucks air from behind and slightly above center of the head light. If you want to avoid sucking water i have found that the best option is to use an oil impregnated K&N filter in the stock airbox. The stock filter housing requires that the air/water flow up through the filter before entering the intake. As long as you don't submerge the inlet and your filter is well oiled, you should have little issue as gravity and the oiled filter are both working in your favor. Sure a stock air box doesn't give you those couple extra horses but it's the safe bet (in my opinion).

As for your speed when entering the water........[sm=WTFsgign.gif]. Water crossings taken slow are no big deal and as you said your clearance was fine but when you plow into the water at speed your all but forcing water into the intake. You might as well put a garden hose in there.

I'm not trying to rub it in by any means as i just recently replaced my 5.7 with a brand new long block(not form hydrolock). I'm just saying discretion is the better part of valor. However i'm glad your insurance was able to get you out of a tough spot.

I cross slow. The guy in the jeep.....uuhhhh didn't.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/20200688ADEC4E6EB8675C80891D1A02.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/12CEBA0088B14EF0BA06A64A0AEF4E39.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/70D6897535184D9CA9B94C0DD08DDAC2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-05-2005, 02:04 AM
DonG
Veteran

Your the third 3rd gen owner I've read this happening to under similar circumstances. DC did not cover the others under warranty and 1 had the stock airbox. I know one of them got their car insurance to cover the engine replacement also. I think the design could be better, but excessive speed was probably the biggest factor.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Avanti
Captain

Anything hydrolocks when the air intake gets underwater. Duh!

I'd suggest that anyone who intends to drive ANY vehicle under conditions you describe be careful about what they are driving into, literally. It would be one thing if one ran through water on the road (yeah, even with the "off road" option) and had the problem, something else crossing streams, creeks, rivers, etc... and at speed. I don't see anything in my Owner's Manual stating the truck is amphibious.

Sorry about your experience. Live and learn, I suppose.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 PM
tfb4me
Rookie

Ok here goes! And just for the record I do hate to bringposts upfrom the past but I just had nearly the exact thing happen to my 2008 ram..I posted on another forum and this was a reply I recived."
I want to know who provides and what kind of comprehensive insurance will pay for such a blatent error of judgement and not on a highway to boot."

At first I got frustrated by this persons post and his opinion, then I thought it was actually a good question. Does anyone here have an opinion or an answertothis fellows post for me to retort with cause I dont![/align]

Quick Reply: Hydro-Lock Woes