3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Fliter on too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Capeair181
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Fliter on too tight?

I just completed my first oil change on my new 2007 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. During this first oil chance I had to tighten the oil filter with more force then I was comfortable with inorder to stop the filter from leaking oil slightly. I actually had toused a1/2 inch drive ratchet attached to a filter socket in order to make it tight enough for it not to leak (by the way it leaked when i would drive the car). Is it normal to have to make the filter this tight or does it sould like something is wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Hemichief
Veteran
Default RE: Oil Fliter on too tight?

I would submit that you have a faulty seal in the filter.. it shuould never be that tight... Normally just tightening by hand should keep it from leaking.

Hopefully you did not cross threated ..

Old 05-08-2007, 01:11 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

yes it does sounds like a bad seal. Did you check to make sure you got the seal off from the old filter also? Like the seal didnt come off the top of it and stick to the engine? Otherwise i'd take it to the dealer and make them fix it.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Capeair181

I tried 2 different oil filters, the first was a Fram oil filter and the second was a Mopar oil fliter, both needed to be on pretty tight inorder for it not to leak.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Hemichief
Veteran

You know I have done my own OLF and I have not had that problem... that is not to say that such may not be normal. I just have not had that issue..

Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

did you look up at the seal spot on the engine to see if that looked ok? No cracks or divets or dirt lodged in there or anything like that?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:29 AM
djr04
All Star

There's a fairly good chance that both times you used a fram. Mopar filters are often repainted frams. Next time try a wix/napa gold/mobil1 filter. Also, not trying to be an ***, but did you happen to oil the seal before putting on the filter? Sometimes people forget this and that could be a cause as well. The fact that it leaks while driving tells me that the seal isn't handling pressure well. I've always used mobil 1 filters with no problems, although I would use a wix if i could find one.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with djr04 about trying another brand. Sounds like a bad seal problem. If it still leaks, the flat sealing surface where the gasket meets the block needs to be inspected for damage. Good luck. Red

Old 05-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HansonHVAC
Did you check to make sure you got the seal off from the old filter also?
Make sure that old filter seal way off. I have had a dozen gallons of oil spilled because of that stupid seal not coming off.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:38 AM
reindeerman
Rookie

HansonHVAC & Priata have very good points. If the original seal/o-ring is stuck to the engine and does not come off with the filter this problem can happen. I always check and wipe the mating surface clean. This way I know that everything is correct. You should never have to tighten the oil filter hard with a ratchet! If you do you will play hell getting it off the next time.

Also this is not a Fram problem. I have used them for many, many years. Each to their own on brand choice! Not trying to play a brand name game here.

If the seal is not the problem maybe the threads are stripped causing a bad seal.

Best of luck. You might try your dealer for repairs, but if they did not perform the oil change they will not be liable for things beyond their control.

Quick Reply: Oil Fliter on too tight?