3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dual Cats on 2004 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Cats on 2004 ?

I own a 2004 1500 4.7L 4x4 Quad S/B (bought used 4 months ago).
The previous owner put on a cat-back system with a flowmaster muffler and split rear exhaust but cheaped out with plain old steel tubing which is now rusting. I was looking at a total exhaust overhaul to include Gibson Shorty headers when I noticed that I have 2 converters. I know a few people who have both newer and older models than mine and no one has 2 cats. Another guy I know is a parts distributor for Mopar and he wasn't aware of any year with 2 cats. Did I happen to pick up a half-year model or something? My local speed shop guy said that the exhaust manifolds and converters appear to be stock, and it's only the muffler and tailpipes that are aftermarket. What gives and now what are my options for a total exhaust overhaul?

Old 05-18-2007, 02:49 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: Dual Cats on 2004 ?

I have 2 converters on my truck also. As for a total exhaust overhaul thats completely up to you. You can go headers into one cat into a muffler into dual outs. Or 2 cats 2 mufflers, or 1 cat single out there are so many options out there its unreal. I will recommend the flowmaster super 40 muffler though. It sounds awesome. Altho they did just come out with a new one called the super44 which is supposed to be the best yet i'd like to hear. I guess if you want some suggestions tell us a lil more what your looking for. Dual outs? single out? really loud? kinda loud? mellow?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

I mis-spoke about my flowmaster muffler. I was going by what someone else told me. It's actually a Ravin muffler which I think is a discontinued line that Midas used to sell.

[IMG]local://upfiles/63182/BE5DAAB7C3AC49179997E49F29BDF1CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Nice looking truck you have there! I don't have any experience with raven mufflers so i can't really comment on that, what direction were you looking to go with your exhaust?

Old 05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

There doesn't seem to be many options for my year and engine size. It appears that my best option is the Gibson Dual Extreme cat-back system. My only concern is that there doesn't appear to be stock hanger locations where the exhaust exits behind the wheels. I want to get rid of the split rear exhaust because I occassionally tow a trailer or a boat.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jc...03288_CL_1.jpg

As for the Ravin muffler, it has decent tone while at idle and during acceleration, but there is a very LOUD drone at highway cruising speeds. I know I can do better in both performance and sound.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:00 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

you don't have to get a kit. You can always design your own, buy the headers, cat(s), muffler and tips you want, then take that to an exhaust shop and have them do the piping for it. Then you can have it exactly the way you want it

Quick Reply: Dual Cats on 2004 ?