3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weight dif from 02-04 20" wheels to 06-07 wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:08 AM
thunderace31
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weight dif from 02-04 20" wheels to 06-07 wheels??

ORIGINAL: Pappy_FB

Me thinks they be the same wheel.

The pics you posted of the 06 Chrome vs the 07 non chrome wheels.

My 06 chrome ones are actually just a cheap piece of chrome plated plastic, more like a form fitted chrome hub cap.

That sucks! Guess Id just go with the silver or the ones at Discount tire then

Old 05-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

I agree, I'd get a set of nice rims.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:10 AM
mdscole
Amateur

My 06 chrome ones are actually just a cheap piece of chrome plated plastic, more like a form fitted chrome hub cap.

The 04 model year is the same...in fact, I'd be impressed if ANY of the factory chrome wheels aren't hubcaps. I ended up with the polished wheels instead. I think they look nice... fairly common - but a nice looking wheel.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:15 AM
djr04
All Star

You may actually find greater difference in gas mileage with different tires. Rolling resistance is a fairly significant factor when it comes to gas mileage, although it is a tough spec to find when searching for a new set of tires. The basic explanation of rolling resistance is that when your tires grip the road, they deform a bit, and this deformation actually creates a force against the rotation of your tires. Ah, the random things I remember from a machine design course in college.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mdscole

The 04 model year is the same...in fact, I'd be impressed if ANY of the factory chrome wheels aren't hubcaps. I ended up with the polished wheels instead. I think they look nice... fairly common - but a nice looking wheel.
Mine aren't hubcaps or form-fitted covers. They're solid and weigh a ton.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

like djr04 says
the rolling resistance of the specific tire
mounted on the wheel
has far more influence on both MPG and acceleration
than the relatively small effect of changes in the wheel's
scientific characteristic called
'rotational moment of inertia'
which is its resistance to being sped up in rpm.

Most 20 inch rims are inferior
to 15 or 16 inch rims
in the 'rotational moment of inertia'
even if the wheels all weigh the same amount on a scale.

Large diameter wheels became a fashion item on vehicles
after pimps in the ghettos decided they liked the look.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:22 PM
sgthostile

ORIGINAL: Sir Hardin Thicke

I hate the look of my 20" on my '04. They look like GAY chrome daisies.
I wouldn't say I hated my 20's, but I wanted 17's because I tow a trailer with my truck and I wanted a little smaller diameter tire and I certainly didn't want to look for a replacement 20" in the event of a blowout if I was out in the middle of no-where. So, I swapped "even steven" with a guy that had 17's and wanted my 20's and vice versa.

Which reminds me, I need to replace my avatar (oops)

Old 05-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HankL

to 15 or 16 inch rims

LoL, I disagree,

Let’s ask ourselves a very important question.

Why did you buy a Truck?

If 20 inch rims are inferior to 15 and 16 inch rims, then you might as well say that 16 inch rims are inferior to 14 inch rims for the same reasons. I am going to have to raise the old BS flag on this.

I think that is only true when calculating the rim only. You might want to add tire size/type into your equation as the tire design will affect angular mass also.

If you bought a Truck to tow or haul anything then braking should be a big concern for you. So with that said, I put it to you that the more area for air flow around your brakes (including rotors) the better cooling you will have.

As for the Large diameter wheels became a fashion item on vehicles after pimps in the ghettos decided they liked the look. Seems to me they were being manufactured long before that, so there must have been a need somewhere besides in the ghetto. Racing maybe? To allow for larger brakes and rotors?

One last thing; why is it so important for some people to bash another person for their choice in style anyway? I say Variety is the spice of life! If we all had the exact same vehicle the world would be a very dull place.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:51 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

to 15 or 16 inch rims

LoL, I disagree,

Why did you buy a Truck?

If 20 inch rims are inferior to 15 and 16 inch rims, then you might as well say that 16 inch rims are inferior to 14 inch rims for the same reasons. I am going to have to raise the old BS flag on this.

I think that is only true when calculating the rim only. You might want to add tire size/type into your equation as the tire design will affect angular mass also.

If you bought a Truck to tow or haul anything then braking should be a big concern for you. So with that said, I put it to you that the more area for air flow around your brakes (including rotors) the better cooling you will have.

As for the Large diameter wheels became a fashion item on vehicles after pimps in the ghettos decided they liked the look. Seems to me they were being manufactured long before that, so there must have been a need somewhere besides in the ghetto. Racing maybe? To allow for larger brakes and rotors?

One last thing; why is it so important for some people to bash another person for their choice in style anyway? I say Variety is the spice of life! If we all had the exact same vehicle the world would be a very dull place.
Isnt that the truth, i dont want to drive around and look at 30 black dodge rams that look identical to mine!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:31 PM
thunderace31
Rookie

to 15 or 16 inch rims

LoL, I disagree,

Why did you buy a Truck?

Thanks for all the info guys
I just know I like the look of the 20's and since the truck had this option Im sticking with them (I think) Im most likely going the Discount tire route since they told me the wheel I like is 18lbs lighter per wheel to the stock ones! NUTS!

Plus Im like some of you I dont want my truck to look like the guys next to me at the mall or stop light! I HATE THAT!

Ill be putting my companys Dodge ram rally stripes on her and also custom rear bed stripes with our company logo in them

Should be a looker when Im done with it!

Quick Reply: Weight dif from 02-04 20" wheels to 06-07 wheels??