3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck running rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Derekjae
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck running rich

Hello, I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. I live in Sacramento California and when I travel some where that has a higher elevation My truck starts losing power and Runs horrible. I was thinking it was maybe the O2 SENSOR. Does anyone have any Idea what could be the problem. These are the codes I get:P0172 System too Rich (Bank 1), P0203 Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder 3, P0204 Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder 4 , P0206 Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder 6, P0208 Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder 8, P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Old 05-19-2007, 10:49 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Truck running rich

This thread scares me a little. What set up do you have? I have always heard that higher elevations with the thinner air can cause certain problems but the computer should be able to learn this and adjust accordingly. How long are you at these elevations and what is the elevation? If it is only a couple thousand feet difference, there should be not much of a change. But if you are talking about drivingup a mountain side that increases dramatically, and not there long, then your computer won't have time to learn and adjust to the thinner air. I will assume that your truck after returning home runs properly.?

I will be watching this thread as I am going to Pa in July. Going from sea level here in Florida to driving through the mountains in Virginia and West Virginia might be a problem for me. Guess I will just have to take my programmer to stay on top of things.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:34 PM
deanj287
Captain

damn man your fuel rail sounds like its F*cked. kidding but thats scary as hell . invest in a wideband AF gauge and see what you really get. try repalcing the 02 sensors as well to see where that gets ya. how many miles?

Old 05-21-2007, 03:49 AM
Derekjae

I am at about 1000 feet here in Sacramentoand When I travel to Reno at anywhere from 3000 to 7000 feet elevation,( In drive time it is about 1 to 2 hours)I Start losing Power and my truck runs Crappy. The last time it did this I pulled over and turned the car off and then back on and it corrected itself this time it did not and I wasat the Higher elevation for two days and it did not correct itself.A while back I did post something on Yahoo answers and got some replys back from others with the dodge ram 1500 that did the samethingbut those that replied said they were not able to get it fixed they had to get some computer to manully lean out the gas. Does not sound right to me. Anyway I will find out soon what the problem is. On my way home from Reno My Truck died and would not idle anymore Had to get it towed to the dealer(scary). I will Post what I find outas soon as I here from the dealer what the damage is. Thanks for the replys

Old 05-21-2007, 05:16 AM
djr04
All Star

That dramatic elevation change of 6000 ft may be confusing the computer, especially if the majority of your driving is at 1000 ft. The pcm learns your driving variables (air flow, driving style, etc.), so you may benefit from resetting your pcm before making such drastic elevation changes. The truck may be used to a more dense air at 1000 ft, and then it runs rich (due to a lower air density) at 7000 ft. The reset may make the pcm adjust the fuel maps more than it will if it has been driven mostly at a set elevation for an extended period of time.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:28 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when your driving and make that much of an elevation change thats what will happen. reason is cause the comp is still thinkin your at a certain elevation so it keeps adjusting fuel on the previous baro reading it took. next time either shut the truck off or give it 100% WOT and it will update the baro reading

Quick Reply: Truck running rich