3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster 50 Droning Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:06 AM
jakeinfla74
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster 50 Droning Questions...

So I've had my Flowmaster 50 Delta ( I believe it's the Delta. Never asked to see the box, but requested it!!!) Anyway I've had it installed for a couple of days now and to be honest I'm somewhat dis-satisfied with the overall exhaust note throughout the power band.

It bogs down throughout the power band unless I'm in a consant state of accelleration. It sounds as if it's starving for air and emits a low, gutteral sound under 2K rpm. Is this normal? Is this the result of MDS perhaps? At first I liked the low grunting sound. It emits a bass-like hum that resembles a MOPAR CAM sound, but it's definitely beginning to bother me, unless this is how Dodges sound with this setup and I simply have to add headers for better flow or simply go with a dual muffler setup.

I'm new to Dodge, is this the case?

I've come up with four possibilities that I plan to pose to the installer on Saturday.

1) He didn't remove the front resonator. Only the rear, and it's having an affect on the air flow to the muffler.

2) They used a single inlet, dual outlet muffler ( this is a fact ) and it's not flowing properly. Have you guys who have the 50 installed gone with the same setup or are you using a dual inlet, dual outlet?

3) There are some leaks in the welds resulting in the bogged down, "starved for air" sound.

4) They should have used a larger pipe diameter?

I love the sound at startup. I love the sound when I'm accellerating, ( although it does tend to be a bit raspy, but that may be due to having the side pipes on the right, and it's an audible illusion that sounds different from outside the truck.

Any thoughts?

~ J.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 AM
jakeinfla74
Rookie
Default RE: Flowmaster 50 Droning Questions...

I just did some searching on "drone" and the vibrating sounds of air starvation may just be the MDS kicking in. I need to determine if the front resonator was removed. What does it look like? The rear one was easy to spot, given it looks like a little muffler, but I can find any photos in posts using the search feature of what the front resonator looks like. Anyone have an image to help a brotha out?

~ J.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing. This does not disappointment me to bad though as I do alot of cruising speeds and the quieter tone works great when I am on the phone. Yes, the MDS has an effect on this as when the cylinders cut down, this will cause less pressure to push through the system. Yes the size of the pipes also cause this. I was a little upset to find out that my pipes after install were only 2.5 in and not 3 in., but this was my fault as I did not research completely before I bought. I am not sure about your front resonator, heck I do not know if mine got removed either. If you had a leak, you would know if, even at an idle.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:33 AM
jakeinfla74
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply! I don't dislike the sound I'm getting, although it does tend to have a "starved for air" sound at low rpms. At crusing speeds and full throttle she screams, and idle is sweet!

I'm wondering if I should go back and ask they use 3" piping in lieu of the 2.5". Will that have a adverse affect on back pressure resulting in a loss of low end torque?

Old 05-24-2007, 11:42 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't lose anything, you will gain. But depending on the set up, they would have to 3 in from headers back. I do not know what the size is from engine to cat, but if it is 3 in, then bottle necking to 2.5 in, this will have a small effect on your truck. If your truck is 2.5 in before the cat, leave it alone. You won't gain anything but maybe a little lower tone from the exhaust going 3 in from cat back. Just remember that the MDS is going to have an issue no matter what there is because the exhaust is set up (stock or modified) for running a powerful V8, then MDS kicks in and your running a 4 banger. You cac try and drive in tow/haul mode and see if it sounds any better. I read on a previous post that this mode stops the MDS from working. Don't know if this is true, but makes complete sense.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:59 AM
jakeinfla74
Rookie

Thank you...SIR! I'll give the tow mode a test, but it sounds as if I'd be geting 9mpg if I ran it this way all the time! LOL!

I still love my Flowmaster though! My cousin had an early 90's Dodge SST with headers, Gibson exhaust, racing computer, and other add-ons. I remember driving it one time. The sound it eminated was classic! God was it loud, obnoxious, and powerful! I recall standing on the brake at a stop light with all my might, just to keep her from inching forward! I can't really compare my Dodge with that one, given all the work done to it, but I can set some benchmarks and enjoy each mod as I go though!

Thank you again.

~ J.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 50 Droning Questions...