3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Side Exhaust: Paint Protection???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:04 PM
jakeinfla74
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Exhaust: Paint Protection???

Should I worry about the exhaust pipes' proximity to the paint in my setup? I was looking at her today, admiring the pipes and all, and started wondering...could the heat eminating of the pipes in the HOT Florida Summer Sun cause any paint damage or discoloration? Hope not!

I recall the photos of the Mustang Cobra Prototype and was wondering if I should add some sheet metal above the pipes, OR add some side valance type body panels with a cutout for the pipes, OR ...

LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE!!

Here's the Mustang GTR, Lightning prototype, and a Chevy SSwith the cool exhaust sheet metal background thingy...

Any thoughts?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:13 PM
darkrt
Professional
Default RE: Side Exhaust: Paint Protection???

My custom rear exhaust exits behind the rear wheel. The tip is up close to the bottom of the fender with 1/2' clearance. Have had no problems with paint.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:23 PM
chopperzen
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have any problems with your paint. Only problem may be vibrations on the side panel if yer pipes are too close. That wouldn't cause any damage though. The chrome plates on those vehicles are for cosmetics except for the Rustang. If the pipes were to be coming out through fiberglass, carbon fiber or anything like that, heat would def be a problem. I don't think you have anything to worry about besides people staring at you!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:34 PM
jakeinfla74
Rookie

Thanks guys. Just being cautious, but I do love the side exhaust look on this truck. Haven't seen one around here. Alot of angled behind the tire, straight pipes out the back, and angled before the tire around here though.

~ J.

Quick Reply: Side Exhaust: Paint Protection???