3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anti Spin- How Important ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 06:51 AM
oregon2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Spin- How Important ??

I am looking at 2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 pickups (Cummins/auto) and wondered how important is the "anti spin option" as it is hard to find at the dealers in my state. I don't off road, but do launch my boat in different rivers on gravel bars-- drive on gravel, grass, and other slippery stuff from time to time- not to mention the rain in the winter months- but not much in the way of ice. If this is a really "must have" feature, then I would have to order a 2005 or find one that has it ---the deals on the 2004's are pretty good right now and I have my eye on a truck, but it does not have "anti spin".

thanks for help anyone can give me on this topic

Old 09-18-2004, 04:10 PM
red shelby z
Rookie
Default RE: Anti Spin- How Important ??

anti spin is just like posi-traction, don't get it without it! Its possible your dealer can add it though.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:54 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any 4X4 truck you are looking at should have it. I would have said WILL have it but I have seen 1 or 2 4X4 trucks that did not have limited slip.

Old 09-19-2004, 03:44 AM
drtelco
Professional

As long as you have the 4X4 I don't believe you will have any problems. I have a 2004 QC with the Hemi. I've launched my boat in very slippery conditions, but once I switch to 4X4 mode I really hook up....

Old 09-19-2004, 03:33 PM
KilrB

Adding the limited slip diff is the best thing you can do to any truck! I old truck had a open diff and my new truck can go almost as far in 2 Wheel drive in snow and mud that my old truck could go in 4 wheel drive! It makes that much difference! I will never buy anouther truck with out it.

Old 09-19-2004, 06:01 PM
red shelby z
Rookie

I can burn my 20s and sling rubber all over the sides, kinda hard getting it off, especially off the exhaust tip. Thats with anti-spin. I imagine an open rear would burn that one tire to shreds.....he he he!

Old 09-20-2004, 05:56 PM
grayghost

Get the Limited slip (anti spin) it is well worth the wait. I also have gone as far in 2wd on my new truck as I got in my old truck without limited slip in 4wd. It just takes one time loading your boat on the ramp and your truck spins one tire and loses traction. then you have to find somebody to assist and pull you up the ramp. (yes it has happened to me). in my opinion it is well worth it.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely worth the cost and the search. You'd get a better one with the 2500 than us 1500 owners have, from what I've read about the "corporate" rearend.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

First of all NO 4x4 should come without LSD, but sadly they do. If you find the truck you like and it does not have LSD, then you can always add it, and a good aftermarket is better than the stock unit anyway. I'd make the dealer install one to close the deal, or get him to take money off the deal as you are going to have to get one to make the 4x4 you are considering buying from him off-road worthy.
Simply adding a LSD is a lot easier than a gear swap. You should be able to find a nice aftermarket unit for about $300-$400 and have it installed for about $200.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
nastyram
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

most trucks without it are 2wd when they are in 4wd,one front and one rear usually spin,seen alot of 4wd trucks stuck because of this,i would wait

Quick Reply: Anti Spin- How Important ??