3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question on Superchips for 03 models

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:12 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Question on Superchips for 03 models

Can't use flashpaq on 03, flashpaq's are setup for the combined PCM/TCM that the 04 and up have. Ours or seperate (email directly from Superchips).

Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
MeTaL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh true, forgot all about that. Thanks for the response.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:02 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's installed and so far I'm happy. The shifts are much firmer, but my judgement says it's because of the removal of torque reduction and not an increase in line pressure. Sending more power through the tranny without putting more force on the clutches probably isn't the best thing for longevity. A shift kit may be in my future.

I'm still surprised at the lack of low end power. Perhaps it's just in comparison with the top end power but off the line isn't all that spectacular. I think my old TBI Chevy was quicker 0-30. I can be pretty aggressive with the throttle and not get any wheelspin. I know these 20s are massive but so is the torque of the Hemi! FWIW, I'm running the performance tune and premium (93) gas.

On the other hand, I did plaster a BMW 330i so something's working right [8D]

Old 06-02-2007, 09:09 PM
djr04
All Star

Yeah the best power seems to be on the top end of the hemis. A lot of people get higher stall torque converters (2400-2800 rpm usually) and slicks so that they can start closer to the power band. That and 4.56 gears to get your rpms up faster.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, think about the cylinder head design, its supposed to move as much air in and out, which happens alot more at higher RPM. Thats why the old 426 hemis were originally designed as a NASCAR engine.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:03 AM
deanj287
Captain

superchips does not increase line pressure shifts kits will though. you need a shift kit for real world tranny performance. all it does is DECREASE the torque managment. you might as well cut the tcm wire as it does the same thing!! thats why ive held off on spending the money for it. usless imho eccept for a slite adjustment in timing. i spent less on a cam and springs (more time how ever on the install) and the power is AMAZING.forget the tunner for real power gains...tear into the engine and do it right the first time and be done with it... totally worth it for the cam considering you ust spent 300 bones on a tuner that only adds MAYBE 10whp

Old 06-04-2007, 03:04 AM
deanj287
Captain

im glad you like the tuner man not trying to bash... does it shift ANY higher with the limiter raised up??

Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll still remove the TCM wire just in case the programmer isn't disabling 100% of the torque management. I liked the figures Superchips provided on the performance gains - not just the peak gains but the area under the curve looks better. I missed out on a $225 used unit on Ebay so I bought one at full price from AutoZone. I wanted one asap.

The cam itself is cheap but I can't do the labor myself and the cost could get on up there. I can always do it later. Like you said, to do it right involves new valve springs too and that adds to the complexity of the job.

And finally, no, the shifts aren't any higher than before. I expected that going into it really. I wanted this specific truck though so finding an 04 wasn't really an option. I think my truck's modded well enough for the first week I've owned it. It's sure to get a lot more work done later on.

Quick Reply: Question on Superchips for 03 models