3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Comments on 4.7l v8

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007 | 04:11 PM
Grapes of Wrath
Default Comments on 4.7l v8

I'm new here and very close to buying a 4.7 Liter V8 SLT Regular cab. I have several questions I'll throw out. I have seen some similarquestions throughout the forum, but would greatly appreciate someresponses.

I'm not much of a mechanic, and I know these questions will probably seem simple to most here, so bear with me.

I don't need the hemi, but I would like to boost the output a little on this truck. I'm thinking,
a. Cold air intake
b. Chip
c. upgraded exhaust.

Can someone comment on these upgrades to this engine ?? Also am I creating warranty issues ??

I can't find one with an installed Sirius radio. The Dealer has indicated he can order and install one. Any issues here ?
This is a small rural dealer and I doubt they have installed very many.

This will primarily be a highway truck, and I was thinking about having it lowered. I wouldn't want much more than an inch or so ( if that is possible ). What should I do here ?? Lower and leave the factory shocks ? or would it be worth lowering and adding upgraded shocks ?

THANKS !!!!

Old 05-28-2007 | 05:06 PM
07Ramjam
Rookie
Default RE: Comments on 4.7l v8

Im not trying to be a jerk or anything,but why buy a smaller V-8 and then try to bump up the HP with bolt ons?Do yourself a favor and buy the Hemi.The gas mileage is almost identical,but come on.....its a Hemi!!!

Cold air intake=more air into the motor generally means more power.To me this is kind of a gimmic.The gains are minimal at best.It does sound cool though.

A chip will increase your torque and HP,but alot of chips require you to run premium fuel.Thats just another added expense.

Exhaust=More air in = more air out.Always a good mod no matter what motor you have.

Im not sure but the chip might be a warranty issue.Everything else is fine.

Just do yourself a favor and reconsider the Hemi.When I came home with my 07 Hemi QC my neighbor, who has a 4.7, said he wished he had just bought the Hemi!!

Old 05-28-2007 | 05:12 PM
NJMandCEM
Professional

I must agree.... the 4.7 and the Hemi are about identical with MPG... but the Hemi just feels much better... And they are great on the highway...

Old 05-28-2007 | 05:46 PM
moodie
Professional

I was also looking at a 4.7 but then realized the HEMI was about equal in MPG and gave my head a shake. The plant that makes the 4.7 should be worried about their jobs

Old 05-28-2007 | 07:22 PM
kregier
Veteran

As a 4.7 owner, I agree, go with the hemi. My trucks a standard and the 4.7 is good through 1st and 2nd, but once I hit 3rd gear, I find it's lacking. Of course I also shift at about 2000 rpm so that has a little bit to do with it. What can I say, I don't believe in V8s reving at 4000+ rpm. My truck rarely sees 3000.

Old 05-28-2007 | 10:07 PM
superdak05
Champion

if you are gonna get a reg cab then the 4.7 will do just fine. if you got the quad then the hemi would be practicle. i have a 05 4.7 dak that has more then enough power then most hemis out on the street today with my cam kit. as far as highway driving the 4.7 get 20/22 with the cruise on. but if you go with the hemi now they have the mds. i had my fun with the fullsize and got rid of them. plus there are more aftermarket parts for the hemi then the 4.7. but plug and play dont cut it. need to go internal. take both for a test drive and see how you like them.

Old 05-31-2007 | 03:51 AM
Grapes of Wrath

Took the Hemi advice. Bought an 07 Black Sport. Truck is smoking hot !. Had not even considered the bigger engine until I read a few posts here. I'm going to take a pic andtry toget it posted.

Got the Sirus radio so no issues there.

I did get the 20 inch tires, so can someone tell me if there will be any problem with getting it lowered an inch or so ??

Old 05-31-2007 | 04:10 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

awesome!! the HEMI is one sexy beast! welcome to the family!

Old 05-31-2007 | 04:22 AM
livetokite
Veteran

very good choice!! welcome to the hemi family

oh and...

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

sorry had to do it

Old 05-31-2007 | 12:03 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

There are several good lowering kits on the market,any of which will serve you well if properly installed. Choose a kit from a reputable manufacturer and get with it! Most folks make a 1"-2" kit that would work well for you (-1 in in front -2 in in rear) Even with the 20's you have plenty of room to lower your truck

Quick Reply: Comments on 4.7l v8