3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm new here with a transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:16 PM
wi_bullrider03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new here with a transmission problem

Hey all! I am Rick. I have a 2002 dodge 1500 4x4. It only has 67,000 on it and today I lost 3rd gear. It shifts fine from 1st to 2nd, but no third. Anyone know anyhting about this problem. Does my transmission need rebuilding or could it be a sensor. I haven't checked the code it is giving off. Thanks ahead of time for any help you might be.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 AM
Midnight Runner
Champion
Default RE: I'm new here with a transmission problem

Had a 2001 Ram 1500 and i had the same thing happen to me. The trany was going bad.
By the way welcome to D.Forum.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes its a common problem, What happens is the lips of theseals get hard and leaks fluid pressure. The only to fix this problem is to install a transmission seal kit.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:19 AM
wi_bullrider03

Thanks for your input. I guess I will be getting a rebuild. Anyone had good luck with any particular company?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:28 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

i have an 02 with the 5.9 (360) in it and i had several problems with my tranny. First it would not downshift into first gear the truck threw a p1757 code for the trans. governor pressure transducer sensor. i was on my way to work and driving like this caused the clutches in the tranny to burn up so the rebuilt the whole tranny and put a new sensor in it.Two weeks lateri had the same problem with third gear and it threw the same code this time i had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the sensor.The third time (about a month after the second incident)it wouldnt shift out of first andi had it towed in again this time the torque converter and the valve body went bad. I myself am a mechanic and i think the first two times they were throwing parts at itbecause they couldn't find the real problem.If it is throwing the same P1757 code as mine did MAKE SURE they test the torque converter and valve body since those were replace i have had no problems.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:51 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Welcome to the forum Rick. You will see as you read through the pages of this forum that the trans is the weak link. Maintain it and you should be fine once you get it fixed/rebuilt. That was a big factor as to why I traded my 1500 for a 2500 CTD. I loved the Hemi as a gas motor and f I ever go back to gas I would get the Hemi again hands down, but I think I am a Diesel guy going forward. Enjoy your truck they are great. Keep up the maintenance and you should be fine with everything and have a long lasting bad a$$ truck.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 PM
wi_bullrider03

Thanks! I love mine. especially since the flowmaster exhaust. Just gotta get the tranny stronger. Thanks again for the input and the welcome.

Quick Reply: I'm new here with a transmission problem