3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wax Remover (Pappy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007 | 05:11 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Default RE: Wax Remover (Pappy)

ORIGINAL: Duso02

Pappy, that's what I meant by the "3" step. Cleaner, polish, Liquid Glass, I figured you guys already had that part decided, wasn't trying to change anything.The 3 stepprocess is basically how every car gets done. I'm just adding that claycould also be used because itremoves wax very well, the Meguiars does anyway.I follow the same steps you do, cleaner, polish, sealant. I'm not saying wax remover won't work either, I have a can right now on my shelf which I use often. I'm not trying to start anything and I'm not even giving any opinion on what brand of anything to use, I was just trying to help. As far as removing the swirl marks, I would seek the advice of a paint pro who can look at the paintbecause from what I've seen some can only be removed with a rotary buffer, not an orbital.
Roger that no offense taken.

I just hope ol FFMedic gets his swirls out.
Since he hasn't posted today I am guessing he is hard at work on his truck.

Old 06-02-2007 | 01:55 AM
FFMedic1479
|
All Star
Default RE: Wax Remover (Pappy)

Well Pappy... you are right. I didn't post because I busted my *** all day and definatly followed each step (read: drank much beer). I only got the bed section (driver/ passanger/ tailgate) and the driver side of the QC done yesterday. It took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours per section. I probably went overboard, but I really wanted to try to do the best job I could so I wouldn't have to do this for a long time. That and I am really trying to avoid the expensive pros, or a repaint. Below is what I did, using the orbital for each step except the wax remover, clay and liquid glass. I also did the whole process from start to finish on each section, to not get ahead of myself.

1) Coffee (started early morning)
2)Wash and Dry
3) Finish Coffee
4) Clay and Lube (I have used this before in the past, not sure if it removes wax, but it does take quite abit of crap off the paint)
5) Drink Beer
6) Wax Remover
7) Drink Beer
8) Two rounds with the Meguires ScratchX
9) Drink Beer
10) Two rounds of the Stage 1 Paint Cleaner
11) Drink Beer
12) Two rounds of the Stage 2 Polish
13) Drink Beer
14) Two coats of the Liquid Glass (4 hours between each coat)
15) Went to JD... you know, to change it up.

It definatly diminished the swirl marks, didn't erase them all but it did help make it more bareable. I will be doing the hood and front fenders next, where the worse of them are, and that will be the true test. Thank you all, especially Pappy, for all your help.

Quick Reply: Wax Remover (Pappy)