3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wax Remover (Pappy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax Remover (Pappy)

This is more of a question towards Pappy, but looking for input from anyone. I couldn't find the original post that we talked about this, mostly because I got bored looking for it.

I bought the Liquid Glass Polish/ Finish, and wanted to go over the process before I spend the time working on it.
I went to NAPA and Autozone (bought the liquid glass from autozone) and no one had, or could find, the 3M wax remover that you talked about. They had some 3M Prep Solvent-70 that sounded a little too industrial strength for the job. Where did you find the stuff you used?

Also, the polish you used was the Meguires Polish, which I have used too. Does the surface supposed to look swirl mark free on this step, before using the Liguid Glass? When I used it, not all the swirl marks came out. I understand it won't be perfect, but I would like it to be as perfect as possible.

Thanks for the tips and info...

Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Wax Remover (Pappy)

I got it at kragan, checkers, schnuks it was not int he detail section but in the checmical solvent section, it was a little square metal can.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

FFMedic,

I got the 3M Wax remover at Advanced Auto. They didn't know they had it either. It was in the Body parts area, like where the paint and bondo are.

I feel I have misled you. I left out a step. Doh!

[IMG]local://upfiles/59926/1E748C91C11C4407B1CB159DE3696A1E.jpg[/IMG]

The Meguiars Deep Crystal System Steps One and Two are what I was doing to get out swirls and scratches.

Step One the Paint Cleaner is the step that gets the swirls and scratches.

[IMG]local://upfiles/59926/CC146C54FDE5406383E7ACAD1C39E2FA.jpg[/IMG]

Also I got an Orbital buffer from Wally World to get out some really deep scratches (Cat claws on me bed)

[IMG]local://upfiles/59926/D65DCBFA770C47418B4691813D428B59.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Ok. I called Advanced Auto and they said they have it. So, I will pick that up tomorrow. I already have just about every Meguires product, and I used them the last time (about two months ago). I did the clay and lube, the steps 1 thru 3, using the orbital. Still swirl marks. Did I use the polish wrong, assuming this is the step that removes the swirl marks? Should I do the polish several times until the swirl marks are gone? And the Liquid Glass does not hide swirl marks, just adds a protective finish, right? Oh, I am such a pain in the ***. I just want to ask all these questions now, so I don't spend my day off tomorrow busting my *** for nothing. What about the ScratchX, should I use that on the whole truck? I have swirl marks all over, so I would have to. Or is that too abrasive?

The steps, from what you told me, are:
1) Wash & dry
2) 3M Wax Remover
3) Step 1 from Meguires
4) Step 2 from Meguires
5) Liquid Glass

Am I right? Should I clay the truck again? Thanks again, and thanks for dealing with my many, many questions.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

I have never used a clay bar so I don't know what to tell you about that.

Make sure everything is clean or new cloth. Don't lay them on the ground, if you drop one get another. Same goes for Orbital Buffer pads.

Scratch X is good, it's kinda like Step 1 and 2 combined. (It is less abrasive than step one me thinks)

Anywho pick your worst front fender and only do that fender to see if thisis going towork.
If it does then your in for a long day.
If not only do the odd steps in the following list for the rest of the day.

1. Drink Beer
2. Wash and dry
3. Drink Beer
4.Use 3M Waxremover onone fender.
5. Drink Beer

6. Use Meguiars Step One Paint Cleaner (or Scratch X)

Note: You might have to use the Orbital Bufferin step 6also.

7. Drink Beer and check to see if swirls are going away. If swirls aregone proced to step8 other wise go back to step 5.

Note: Drink Beer

8. Use Step TwoPolish to restore paint.
9. Drink Beer
10. Apply Liquid Glass. Read instructions on this one. Also it does NOT come off as easy as they claim it does LoL.
11. Drink Beer, run to end of driveway and do a victory dance for neighbors.

Repete for rest of truck if satisfied with results.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

I think I will have to skip step 1...I would never make it to the driveway. But I will be good once I'm out there. Thank you again for all your advice... you are one wise caveman.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use they clay bar instead of wax remover. The wax remover is more or less to prep the car for painting, (that's why it was in the paint/body section). It reallyworks great toremove the adhesive after removing the badges. I prefer the clay to do the whole thing.Claying the paint is a great step to do if you have never done it and your paint is a couple years old. Try this, wash and dry your truck. Run your finger across your paint. Feel rough and scratchy? Mine did. That is little particles of dirt in the paint. Get a clay bar kit and use it then do the same thing. The clay also removes all wax and polish and any other crap in the paint.Clay (with lube like the box says), then you follow the 3-step system and it'll look fine.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Duso02,

I'm not sure if you understand what were trying to do.

We must remove all wax toapply Liquid Glass. (andnever use wax again)

After reading up on Clay bars and Lube I have read that Clay bars will not remove some Waxes.

I am not bashing clay bars, but to use Liquid Glass ya gotta make sure all wax is gone.

Also me thinks Meguiar's Step 3 is wax, so we don't want to use that.

To sum up:
1. Wash
2. Remove Wax
3. Clean Paint (Buff out scratches & swirls)
4. Polish Paint (More Buffing)
5. Apply Liquid Glass (apply more coats at a later time)

No more wax, wax bad. Wax soft, Liquid Glass hard. Pappy like Liquid Glass.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pappy, that's what I meant by the "3" step. Cleaner, polish, Liquid Glass, I figured you guys already had that part decided, wasn't trying to change anything.The 3 stepprocess is basically how every car gets done. I'm just adding that claycould also be used because itremoves wax very well, the Meguiars does anyway.I follow the same steps you do, cleaner, polish, sealant. I'm not saying wax remover won't work either, I have a can right now on my shelf which I use often. I'm not trying to start anything and I'm not even giving any opinion on what brand of anything to use, I was just trying to help. As far as removing the swirl marks, I would seek the advice of a paint pro who can look at the paintbecause from what I've seen some can only be removed with a rotary buffer, not an orbital.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 PM
djr04
All Star

Clay bars are also great for removing rail dust and any of those rough spots you feel on your paint. Keep in mind though, if that clay bar hits the ground, it's garbage. If you're brave (and skilled enough) you could most likely get those swirls out with a rotary (not orbital) buffer with a wool pad and some good compound, although I don't recommend this for most as you can burn your paint fairly quickly if you don't know what you're doing. After the compound you still need to use the 3 step of paint cleaner, polish, and wax (or liquid glass). I've also used a product called "swirl eliminator" and that worked quite well.

Quick Reply: Wax Remover (Pappy)