3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door lock problem

I was putting my new speakers in and got everything wired back up. When i put everything back together i noticed by passenger rear door lock wasn't working. I'm not sure if this started happening after the speakers or before, my cuzin was complaining it wasn't unlocking this weekend i thought she just wasnt waiting til the door unlocked. But anyway, the window works, all three locks on the other doors work just not that one. It doesnt work with the keyless entry or the keypad. Any ideas?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:38 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: door lock problem

May have just pulled a wire when you were installing the speakers. Double check that. I did the same thing when I put speakers in my other car. Got all done, and later that day while driving, I could not adjust my mirrors. Took the panel off and sure enough, I accidentally pulled a wire to the door switch.

Another easy check is to put your finger on the lock itself and hit the unlock and lock button. If you feel a pressure vibration then something is jammed. If nothing then no power getting to the lock. Meaning, either bad / unplugged wired, or bad lock mechanism.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:44 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

i looked at all the wires they seem to be ok. I can pull it up and down with my hand but i'll go try putting my finger on it while trying lock/unlock.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:51 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

You'll always be able to push/pull your lock as it is mechanical with a solenoid attached. If your wires are all ok, then check for a vibration. What you might feel is the solenoid trying to pulse but if it is jammed then it will vibrate violently within the casing. You should feel it or even hear it as well. Seems like you are good wth working on your truck, so you can even try and switch the locks from one side to the other and see if the problem stays or moves with the lock. If the problems stay on the same door then break out your meter and start checking to find out where you are losing the power.

This is my best guess right now

Old 05-31-2007, 03:09 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Yeah i did check for vibration and didnt have any. SOOO after about an hour of pissing around i said fuc* it and went and got my multi meter. I found i was losing power in the wiring harness behind the seat belt pillar. I pulled it apart and sure enough one of the wires was in the harness and not getting a connection, pulled it out, put it back in and now it works like a champ!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:04 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Sucks when you have to get the meter. Everytime I get mine out, I start to think that this could turn out to be a long process cost more money on something that I did not need to spend on. Then, I find a broken or loose wire and I am happy again....

Glad you got her working

Old 06-01-2007, 02:42 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Eh i don't really mind getting out the meter. I use it pretty much every day at work with a wiring diagram for whatever i'm working on. Its kind of become second nature.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

ORIGINAL: HansonHVAC

Eh i don't really mind getting out the meter. I use it pretty much every day at work with a wiring diagram for whatever i'm working on. Its kind of become second nature.
Same here. I use mine on a daily basis with what I do. It makes some jobs much easier to troubleshoot.

Quick Reply: door lock problem