3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speakers are in

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Speakers are in

you wont see a difference in one gauge of wire. The speaker wire in my truck from the factory was about 22 gauge,I tried to use it because of the difficulty of running wire into the door. It didnt sound as good as I thought,so I bit the bullet and ran 12 gauge to the speakers and was well pleased with the results. I can turn the system waaaaaayyyy up now without clipping the amp due to backfeed from the amp. I am just a layman,but it sounds better to me with the larger wire. Maybe theres an electrician in here that can explain it better than me.In my home system I use 4 gauge monster wire. Same thing was happening as my truck,I would be rockin along and the amp would clip,I would get an overload message on the screen. I swapped to Monster wire and fixed the clipping problem. My home system consists of an OnkyoTX-SR702 reciever,(110 watts per channel x7) Onkyo dvd/cd player Klipsch KLF-30 main drivers,Klipsch RS7 surrounds,Klipsch RC7 center channel and a Klipsch SW15 1100 watt 15in down firing sub

Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Hanson,
I will be installing a new system in my truck soon too, Iwould like to install an amp, but at this point, have no idea where. I don't want it under a seat, for fear it would get damaged or corroded. Can you let me know where you installed yours---please.
ORIGINAL: HansonHVAC

Well after a few hour battle with my truck all four speakers are finally in and everything is put back together in working order! I ran 14 ga speaker wire from the back of my head unit directly to the speakers to improve the sound a lil bit. I have to say i am beyond impressed with infinity speakers. They sound great! I also put a nice bead of silicone around the door opening for the speaker to absorb any vibration. Can't wait til friday when i sub box gets here!

Old 05-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

I have a large infinity amp that fits fine under the passenger seat. It has been in about 3 years and I have had no problems so far. No moisture should be able to get to it unless you leave the window down in the rain.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:05 AM
SuperNotch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here the deal with my 06 qc hemi - I am getting subs and a amp put in, my 12" Hertz sub will not fit under seat so I am going to use 2 10's, I have already recieved the box and it fits kinda snug under the seats so hopefully the subs wont hit too much.. my big problem is i want to use my stock head unit, becuase of the steering wheel controls and the bluetooth, seems simple enough. But i have just been informed by a installer at a stereo shop that the "top end" dodge stereos will not work properly with the amp and sub when connected to the little adapter. He told me i will have to find a CAN BUS AUDIO CZA-CHY by P.A.C to be able to se a factory head unit.. anyone else using a factory head unit with subs in their ram? any probs?

Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 AM
TReX5.7
Professional

I just had a 12" alpine and kenwood amp installed to my factory head unit with no problem, all you need is that adapter for the rca's or at least thats all I really needed. I was told after it was an easy install no problems.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:21 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

No i am not using the factory head unit. Right now i have my sony xplod giga panel in but have a new panasonic sirius/ipod ready head unit in the shipping process to my house. And no i havent splurged for the dyna mat.... yet... it will be soon though. Also i plan on mounting my sub either behind or under the back seat havent decided which yet.. probably under.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 AM
eltupac
All Star

So why would the Infinity speakers come with 16 or 18 gage wire in the box if they make the speaker sound bad? You would think that for the money they would throw some 14 gage wire if you say they make that much of a difference. From the calculator I used in the link above, they sound difference between 14 and 18 is unnoticeable.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

My speakers didnt come with enough wire to run it to the back of the deck the way i wanted it. I had a whole spool of 14 ga wire laying in my garage so thats what i used

Old 06-01-2007, 04:31 PM
eltupac
All Star

Soka soka, I see, I see in japanese. Cool.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:24 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

When running the speakers off an amp, it doesn't hurt at all to use the larger gauge, less of a chance to actually overheat the wires by trying to push too much juice through them. As for amp and sub locations, I had a custom box built for under the passanger rearseat (single 10" JL W1, sounds great... and for half the price of the JL Stealthbox). For amps, I have a JL 4 channel under the driver seat, and a RF mono for the sub under the front passanger seat. I went with all bigger then neccessary wiring (off the RF Power series) so that I wouldn't have to redo all of my wiring if I upgraded and reduce any chances of catching anything on fire. I have RF doors right now (swaped out from an old truck before trade in) but want to get a good set of components. Any suggestions? Oh, and I ran all new speaker wire everywhere, for the same reasons mentioned before

Quick Reply: Speakers are in